All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
taking probiatics
      #367171 - 04/02/12 05:39 AM
gas_tank

Reged: 08/25/10
Loc: Michigan

For a little over 1 week I was taking a probiatic that indicated it should be taken on an empty stomache. I just had the worse weekend in many years with pain up into my diaphram & nausea. Eating small meals did help but only lasted for 5 minutes to 1 hr. After pulling out Heather's IBS book I was reading that probiatics should be taken with food. Which is correct way to take this? I have IBS-C and it really helped me in that week I took it but after this weekend I am scarred to take it again.

--------------------
IBS-C 20+yrs with gas, bloating, knife sharpening pains during an attack

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: taking probiatics new
      #367172 - 04/02/12 06:49 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

What probiotic were you taking that gave you such problems? Did you check the ingredients list for IBS unfriendly ingredients?

Usually it doesn't matter if you take a probiotic with or without food. However, it is always best to follow the instructions on the label.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#367176 - 04/02/12 01:14 PM
gas_tank

I will let you know tomorrow what the ingrediants are. I do beleive there are 3 types of cultures in this probiatic. I have had senitivity to other types of fiber too. I have tried everything (FiberCon, Acacia, Align, Miralax, Digestive Health, greek yogurt & activia) with the same result of my colon getting very irritated. Usually it takes several weeks but this time only 1. How can I get the fiber to regulate my C if I can't tolerate it?

--------------------

#367178 - 04/03/12 04:48 AM
gas_tank

Syl, the probiotic I was taking is called Probiotic Colon from New Chapter Organics. The ingrediants are 10 live probiotic strains along with growth stimulating prebiotic whole foods such as: Organic Okra, spinach, Chlorella Regularis, Blueberry, Cumin seed & Ginger, Sugar. 2 capsules (1 am, 1pm) is all you take. Maybe 2 was too much for my system. I know it worked on getting me regular but I am nervious on taking it again.

--------------------

#367180 - 04/03/12 07:04 AM
Syl

It seems to have a fair amount of insoluble particularly from the cumin seeds and ginger.

You might try one of the probiotics that has been clinical tested for IBS. As you may know very few probiotics have been shown to be effective for IBS in clinical trials. Some probiotics you might try that have been tested are Align, VSL#3 and digestive advantage.

Also it would be helpful if you gave us a list of the foods and snacks you have eaten in the past 2-3 days. It may give us some clues for recommendation to help you reduce your IBS symptoms.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#367183 - 04/03/12 09:35 AM
gas_tank

I have tried Align & digestive advantage with issues occurring after taking it for awhile. I haven't tried the VSL#3. Do you need a perscription for that?
As for what triggered this.....could of been anything. I stay on course pretty good but it could of been the protein drink, raw almond butter or black bean burger no bun with salad I had the night before.

--------------------

#367184 - 04/03/12 09:54 AM
Syl

You can buy VSL#3 without a prescription.

Yes, the raw almond butter and bean burger could have set off some symptoms. Good luck

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2127 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3878

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review