All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Please help me...I am so confused
      #367060 - 03/20/12 09:32 AM
Tabmeoms

Reged: 03/16/12
Loc: Northwest PA, USA

I have no idea how to find my way on this web forum thing. I just know I really need to talk to someone out there. I am so confused right now. I was told after having tests done that I have IBS, but I am not really sure they diagnosed me correctly. I keep reading and reading about it and I just don't know. I am in so much pain, and this has been ongoing since October '11. There is not any relief or very little relief from b.m., that is one reason I am questioning the IBS. I guess if I have to describe which IBS I have it would be the IBS-A but that is just a guess on my part because the dr never said. From what I have read, constipation is not being able to go for three or more days and diarrhea is loose watery stool. I am having trouble with not being able to go at all "one" day, (its never gone into three days) with severe cramping all day and night and it usually lasts into part of the next day, then the next day onces the bowels do start to move then I will start having frequency maybe going between 6-10 times in one day sometimes, but the bowels are not watery, the first one is usually a formed stool, but then by the third and beyond its usually just soft stools, there again, with the cramping still. This is not always how it is, sometimes I will have formed stools all day, they are not really hard to get out, just painful inside me. I cry when I go to the bathroom. I cry when I am done too. The is just that unbearable. No relief from the cramping whether I go or not. Sometimes the cramping isn't quite as severe as other times, but it really doesn't coincide with the bowel movement very much. Drinking water or eating food makes the cramping usually worse almost immediatley. Its like I can almost feel the food being digested. I am on a strict diet because in Nov. '11 I was diagnosed with IC, and then in Jan of this year I was diagnosed with gastritis and gallstones and so I made more changes to my diet. Then at the end of Feb, I had the colonoscopy done and they said I had the IBS, so I adjusted my diet even more. I am not eating dairy, soy, trying to avoid gluten and of course I am watching the soluble an insoluble fiber intake and how I am eating it. The dr gave me a prescription for Hyoscyamine and it did not give me any relief so he had me try taking Prednisone with it, which also didn't give me any relief, and caused me to have more frequency and urgency with my bladder and the flairs to come back. I am trying really hard to follow the diets and do all I can to get better, but I just am not feeling any better at all. I have lost more weight, I was 92 and now I am 75. I can't sleep at night. I am waking up all the time. As soon as my eyes open I feel the cramping so I don't know if the cramping is what is keeping me awake or not. This week I started having another problem at night, twice now I woke up feeling really hot. I pulled the covers off and I was then immediatly freezing cold. It was like I had a fever. I wasn't sweating. It was like I was sick or something. I just want some relief. I want to be normal. I know things will never be like they were before, but if I could just get out of pain then maybe I could face each day a little easier. I hate to even get out of bed each day. If this is what my life is going to be like forever, well... I don't know how much longer I can do it.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Please help me...I am so confused new
      #367061 - 03/20/12 10:12 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Welcome to the board,

Have you tried Heather's break the cycle diet? Essentially you eat a very basic diet for a few days until your GI track settles down and then you slowly introduce safe foods.

It would be helpful if you could list the foods and snacks you have eaten in the past 2-3 days. It might give us some clues for suggestions.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#367070 - 03/21/12 06:24 PM
Marilyn

Reged: 05/02/03

Welcome to the boards - My heart goes out to you in that you are suffering so...

Just in reading some of what you have shared, a lot of these things are not IBS alone as you know - IBS usually does not result in such a weight loss as yours - I am a bit concerned for you - and also waking with symptoms. Since you are already following a strict diet and have lost so much weight, and have so many difficult symptoms, as well as gallstones and IC, much more is going on than 'just' IBS - you certainly may have IBS in addition to these other conditions, and when that is the case the IBS is so much harder to address.

You do need to list all of your concerns and outline this with your doctor - if he/she does not explain it fully, then you need to get a new one.

Even if a particular diet may or may not help, it would be unconscionable to suggest anything to you via cyberspace given all the many things you have mentioned here. Each symptom you mention could be from any number of conditions as well as IBS and it would be hard to sort one from the other.

If you would like to speak with me about this, you can call 877-898-2539 as I provide free patient support and speak with IBS patients quite a bit - but - this is not a replacement for care from a professional medical physician. We can share insights here, but I do feel that you need more than what can be provided via cyberspace. That being said, there is hope, the diet suggested here is safe, tho you are already on one that is restricted re your gallstones, so anything your doctor suggests would be best for your specific conditions as we don't see your tests, lab results, etc.

So if you do want to talk to someone, you have my number - just for some possible insights and some TLC. I too know the feeling of crying and feeling utter despair from IBS and health issues... Take care.

--------------------
My Journey and Success with the IBS Audio Program Hypnotherapy Program: www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=hypnotherapy&Number=224850

#367074 - 03/22/12 06:44 AM
Jhana

Reged: 03/19/12
Loc: PA, USA

OH MY HUN! I'm so sorry you are going through this, but I agree with Marilyn, you need MUCH more medical assistance than cyberspace. It sounds to me you are severly underweight and perhaps malnurished. If you current doctor can't assist you find another one! May I ask if you seen a gynocologist? Maybe something there is wrong? Or had an endoscopy done?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4017 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2097

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review