All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Recovering from Uterine Fibroid Removal with IBS-D
      #366883 - 02/14/12 12:17 PM
OESGal

Reged: 02/14/12
Loc: Knoxville, TN, USA

I've had IBS-D for about 3 years and I'm lactose intolerant. I discovered this website in the last few months and I've been trying to follow the dietary guidelines from Heather since then. I have yet to have a resolution to my symptoms. I still have bloating, pain and diarrhea, plus heartburn (reflux) despite taking Nexium as directed by my Gastro Dr (though fennel tea helps with that for the most part). I also was told last November that I had a fast growing uterine fibroid that needed to be removed along with my uterus. I had that huge fibroid (2 KG/4.5 lbs)removed about 3 weeks ago via robotic minimally invasive surgery. I thought for a while that the fibroid was exacerbating the IBS, which the docs agreed with too, because the fibroid could have been pressing on the intestines.
Now the fibroid is gone and I've healed quite a bit, but I'm still having major symptoms. I've started taking Heather's mint capsules in the last month or so and I've been using the tummy fiber powder and drinking Heather's and other fennel tea for a few months now. I did read today Syl's posts about the FODMAPs diet and that may be of help too.
So can anyone offer any other advice?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Recovering from Uterine Fibroid Removal with IBS-D new
      #366894 - 02/16/12 07:23 AM
Godandme

Reged: 02/15/09
Loc: Orange County, California

Heather's diet is helping alot with my IBS-D but I'm also taking a Probiotic, Florastor. You might want to check into these.

Re: Recovering from Uterine Fibroid Removal with IBS-D new
      #367257 - 04/16/12 12:32 PM
OESGal

Reged: 02/14/12
Loc: Knoxville, TN, USA

Thought I'd post an update to this. I recently went to see a nutritionist who specializes in GI disorders since I had not been able to resolve my symptoms and she suggested that I have the MRT Testing done. Turns out I'm sensitive to many common food ingredients. I have been having much improved symptoms since trying to cut out these trigger ingredients.
I am especially sensitive to:
Acetaminophen
Maple
Paprika
Strawberry
And less sensitive to:
baker's yeast
banana
basil
cabbage
cantaloupe
cheddar
coffee
cola
cranberry
dill
yellow #5
garbanzo beans
bell peppers
honey
honeydew
leek
lemon
plum
rice
sesame
shrimp
sole
sorbic acid
spelt
spinach
tuna
turmeric
wheat
whey
zucchini
I have gone back to eating more vegetables and insoluble fiber with no ill effects really, except for a bit of gas. I may still have to observe the FODMAPS items going forward. It is very frustrating to find foods without these things! So I've been finding lots of help with gluten free recipes and food items, but this can also be problematic since many of these use rice as a substitute.
In conjunction with this, my nutritionist also thinks I have an overgrowth of Candida albicans in my colon, so I'm trying to avoid eating more than 80 grams of cabs per day and things that can encourage the growth of Candida albicans, like vinegar. In addition I'm taking supplements to encourage the growth of good bacteria like Florastor and other probiotics, and supplements that will help kill off the Candida, like Pau d'Arco, olive leaf extract, & oregano oil.
For more information visit these sites:
LEAP Information
Yeast Connection

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2683 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2724

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review