Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Couscous and Quinoa
      #366687 - 01/17/12 07:22 AM
hildurk

Reged: 07/17/09
Loc: Hafnarfjordur, Iceland

Hi all,
I was wondering about couscous. I've gotten a bad reaction from it, although it was a long time ago, before I was fully aware of what was a trigger for me and what not. So maybe it just so happened that I ate something else at the same time that triggered the attack (this happened more than once, though). Is couscous generally considered safe for IBS? I can't seem to find any information on that here on the site.

Also, I remember seeing quinoa on the "go" list for eating for IBS, but I've never cooked it, and was wondering if anyone has experience using that? I'm getting a bit bored of rice and pasta.

--------------------
Hildur,
IBS-C and LI

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Couscous and Quinoa new
      #366692 - 01/17/12 10:06 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I eat couscous regularly with no adverse effects. Couscous is pasta made from semolina (durum wheat flour). It is made by sprinkling water on semolina and rolling to form small pellets which are sprinkled with dry flour to keep them separate. Most couscous sold in the West World is made from semolina which has had the bran removed. It has been pre-steamed, dried and the package directions usually instruct to add boiling water or stock and let set for a few minutes before eating. Be careful - they make a whole wheat couscous too which is not so IBS friendly.

Quinoa is a whole grain cereal grain with a fair amount of soluble fiber that some people with IBS maybe able to tolerate. I haven't tried it. Perhaps others can give you advice.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#366700 - 01/17/12 03:57 PM
hildurk

Reged: 07/17/09
Loc: Hafnarfjordur, Iceland

Thanks! I think I remember seeing quinoa on the "go" list of the diet cheat sheet from Heather, so I thought it was pure soluble fiber, or at least mainly soluble fiber. Anyway, I bought some today and am trying it tomorrow. I'll post how it went.

--------------------
Hildur,
IBS-C and LI

#366866 - 02/12/12 10:28 AM
Susie1985

Reged: 05/04/11

Couscous should only be problematic if you have problems with wheat. If you eat bread safely, couscous should be the same.

Quinoa is not safe at all. It is a wholegrain and v high in IF, the fibre in it is 2/3 IF, 1/3SF. I am OK with it if I eat a lot of SF alongside (from SFS, BEnefiber) but since quinoa weighs a lot, you can't really eat the same amount as you would from pasta or rice unless you're prepared to have a lot and lot of SFS with it. (1tsp is usually 1.5g. with a cup of quinoa you'd have to have a lot of SFS, I think around 3 tsp if I recall correctly. not worth the money for me.)

--------------------
now: stable through EFI+FODMAP dieting (no lactose/no fructose/some fructans and some polyols)

before: IBS-D(pseudo-diarrhoea), bloating, often unbearable pain esp from too much fat: Apr 2007- Dec 2010

FODMAPs: http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/072710p30.shtml

[I've tried VSL#3 -> I could tolerate v good amounts of IF (even with less SF), it worked great (but overall I find it too expensive)]

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 678 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 15548

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review