All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Re: FYI new
      #366898 - 02/16/12 02:46 PM
rebeccaneal

Reged: 01/29/12

I have read your post about your recovery using the CDs - very encouraging! I have a differnet kind of IBS to you though, mine is very much pain and bloating but since it is similar in that there is nothing detectably wrong I hope that it would also respond to this kind of treatment... it's worth a go anyway!

I'm going to see if I can get a referral to a clinic that does hypno but since I would have to self-fund I'll have to see how the costs add up - if it's not feasible then it would be good to know that Michael Mahoney's CDs might offer me a way of trying it out :-)

I don't suppose you know whether the type of IBS makes any difference to the likelihood of successful outcome? Also, I have never found that stress is a trigger, my symptms just seem to cycle round in the same pattern no matter what is going on in my life... I only mention this because I have read that hypno is good for stress-related IBS and hope that this doesn't mean it isn't good for IBS that doesn't seem to be aggravated by stress!!

Thanks for your replies :-)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: FYI new
      #366899 - 02/16/12 03:58 PM
Marilyn

Reged: 05/02/03

http://www.helpforibs.com/shop/books/hypnoibs.asp

If you take a look at the above link, scroll down to the clinical trials charts, you will indeed see that pain and bloating are a part of the symptoms covered.

I speak or email with many IBS patients (over the past 12 years) and this program helps with all aspects of IBS.

Perhaps you feel you would benefit from personal sessions, so certainly go ahead and do that - you need to do what is best for you.

There are therapists in the UK that are trained in his protocol, as well as those trained in the other one -both are excellent protocols. The advantage to Michael's recorded CDs are cost, (way less than in person sessions) and no need to travel, expenses for travel, time, support provided. The advantage to in-person therapy is personal attention to your own particular needs - in some cases - if they are using a standardised protocol, they may or may not adapt the script to accommodate your particular situaion.

If you wish to tell me what part of the UK you are in, I can see if there are therapists using Mike's gut-specific protocol in your area. I do know there is a year waiting list at one hospital for these other sessions that you mentioned above, (not Mike's), so that may be the case in a clinic referral - depending upon the location.

Most people who do the CDs, do so as a last resort. If there are other factors going on in your medical or mental health, this might not be the way to go.

Also, it is advised that you do not do hypnotherapy at the same time as you do a cognitive therapy program, as the two methods are at odds with each other. This is one reason why progress may be delayed or hindered with some folks, as well as constantly reading and researching about IBS while doing the protocol. We have found most people have greatly reduced or eliminated their IBS over time if they adhere to these suggestions - and seek out the support given if needed.

There is no one therapy that works for everyone, and for some, this may not be their way forward - however, we have found that for the few folks that have not seen success, they have either given up early, not sought out the extra support from Michael (not from a support board), kept doing other cognitive treatments, or keep talking and reading about IBS even when feeling well. Most of the people who have succeeded in this process are those that have tried everything else (meds, diets, supplements, etc.) and nothing has worked - or worked to the degree needed, and this was the treatment that helped.

So might not be for you, only you will know what is best, but the program does work on all symptoms and combinations of IBS - we have had reports from people who are in the pubic eye, do not have anxiety or stress related IBS, and were helped greatly - so there is hope.

Hope this helped - all the best to you.

--------------------
My Journey and Success with the IBS Audio Program Hypnotherapy Program: www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=hypnotherapy&Number=224850

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4383 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7615

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review