All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
IBS?
      #366573 - 12/21/11 11:35 AM
weo

Reged: 12/09/11

I am confused and would welcome any help I can get. I was diagnosed with IBS about 2 yrs ago. However, after trying all sorts of solutions I still am hurting. I have just discovered this web site and have read the books offered. In short not much seems to work for me. I have been through all the tests one can imagine and ...nothing. The books have been helpful for a proper education, however I did notice a couple of unusual things. First, I am Male. Not too many males in the bunch. Second this problem showed up after age 50. Finnally Heather lists Divertiulosis as a thing that should be ruled out. I have this condition, but all MDs said this in itself is not a problem and would not cause pain. Why is this included in the list of things that must be ruled out? Any thoughhts?
Thanks.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS? new
      #366574 - 12/21/11 01:00 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Welcome to the board,

There are quite a number of males on the board. You aren't alone but we are in the minority. IBS can appear at any age.

You say your doctor diagnosed you with divertiulosis . As you can see from the information on the NIH web site it can present similar symptoms to IBS. Sometimes IBS is misdiagnosed as divertiulosis and vice versa. And you can have both.

A few questions
How was your divertiulosis diagnosed?
What advice were you given to manage the diverticulitis?
Did the advice make a difference to your symptoms?
Where is you pain located?
What sort of diet are you following now?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: IBS? new
      #366580 - 12/21/11 05:04 PM
weo

Reged: 12/09/11

Hi thanks for the insight. I must say that your NIH article is the first one that I have ever seen that has indicated the possibility of pain of any kind attached to the condition of diverticulosis. I have had 2 bouts with the nastier diverticulitis. That was back in 2002. My diagnosis of diverticulosis has been confirmed by more than one colonoscopy, and CT scans. Consultation with my GI and my GP, Radiologists etc. have all been exhaustive. They all told me that my mild to moderate divertiticulosis had no bearing on my pain and discomfort. I of course have this mostly in the descending and sigmoid parts of the colon. Common I'm told. Actual diverticulitis was treated with Cipro/Flagyl and a low residue diet, until better, then back to high fiber. Since that time I have almost consistant pain in the left side, & left lower quad. I also have suffered with stomach aches as well. I finally went to see the head of GI at Mercy Hospital in Baltimore and after more review of records and an endoscopy, I got a diagnosis of IBS "a motility problem" and given hyosciamine(anti spas) Told to come back in a year. My GI said come back in 10 years your colon has no organic or structural problems that would cause these symptoms. Gets pretty deep Uh? So,at the moment I am on the IBS diet as laid out by Heather. Is it working? Not sure only been 2 weeks. Oh yes I am confused,and sick of being in pain. Every so often, the pain will give me a break. I recently got a break from the lower and side pain for about a month(first one in two years)only to have it come back in the Middle of November and is still here. Hence my interest in this web site and Heather's books and suppliments. So..........thoughts?
Thanks.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 387 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1385

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review