All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Yeast Allergy
      #366490 - 12/04/11 05:10 AM
capricorn1942

Reged: 10/06/03

About 7 years ago I went to an MD for food allergy testing. He diagnosed me with allergies to the following:

Bananas, Grapes, Cow's milk, Mung beans, Mushrooms, Pumpkin, Baker's yeast and Brewer's yeast.

I have avoided these for the most part with occasional slipping, except for sourdough bread (contains baker's yeast) which I was eating often.

Recently, I stopped eating bread, but continue to eat wheat - 1 matzoh (flour and water only) a day, 2 vegan cookies a day and I will be adding couscous.

The result has been a significant decrease in gas. But all other symptoms have remained the same.

Has anyone else had any experience like this? Any comments would be appreciated.

Cheers.

--------------------
ibs-d (pseudo)with pain and bloating

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Yeast Allergy new
      #366491 - 12/04/11 06:04 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I don't know much about yeast & mould allergies other than Brewers yeast allergy is usually mild and it can cause GI gas. However, I do know about motzoh. Motzoh with peanut butter and jam is a nightly treat

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#366492 - 12/04/11 06:25 AM
capricorn1942

I eat matzoh with almond butter and cranberry jelly. The last time I ate peanut butter I had terrible D. I don't eat jam since it contains solids not found in jelly. I have been using Mrs Miller's cranberry jelly. I tried your recipe and added some lime juice. It came out delicious but too thin. I'll have to boil it longer the next time.

Cheers.

--------------------

#366493 - 12/04/11 06:37 AM
Syl

Actually - I should correct myself. I eat homemade raspberry jelly not jam because of the high insoluble fiber content of jam. I have tried almond and other nut butters but with terrible results

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#366494 - 12/04/11 07:25 AM
shelgirl

Reged: 09/22/09
Loc: Wisconsin

Are there wheat/gluten free options of motzoh? Or anything like that? I have thought for a long time that breads (yeast) give me terrible gas but haven't been able to find a replacement....

--------------------
IBS-D. Eating gluten and dairy free.

#366496 - 12/04/11 08:01 AM
Syl

There is a gluten free motzoh made from oats but I have not tried it and I don't know here you buy it.

It is possible that the fructans in the wheat not the yeast give you gas. Fructans are indigestible but fermentable by colonic bacteria to produce gas and other by-products.

--------------------

#366497 - 12/04/11 08:25 AM
capricorn1942

On Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Yehuda-Matzo-Squares-Gluten-10-5000-ounces/dp/B004DBVJRA/ref=sr_1_sc_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1323015589&sr=8-2-spell

Expensive!

Cheers.

--------------------

#366547 - 12/18/11 01:05 AM
Susie1985

Reged: 05/04/11

I think you could see whether it's fructans that bother you by seeing if bread triggers the same symptoms as brussels sprouts/beetroot/onions. These are all listed as fructan triggers yet the latter don't contain yeast, do they?! So if you don't get the same symptoms I guess it could be something that is in the bread only? I get a lot of gas from all fructan heavy foods whether they be bread or any of those veggies so it is not the yeast that troubles me but the fructans.

as far as I know peanuts are 50-50% SF and IF, whereas all other nuts are much higher in IF. There is a difference in terms of how much fat they have. In other words, depending on whether you may be more sensitive to fat than IF or vice versa, and the fact that there is additional oil in almond butter usually I think these are definitely factors and can mean a different response if you eat almond or peanut butter. I for instance have to be careful with fat, so the overall amount for any nuts I eat has to be v small. In that small amount the IF content seems for me totally OK. For me fat is a lot more dangerous than IF. Others have it the other way round. Guess it comes down to the individual.

--------------------
now: stable through EFI+FODMAP dieting (no lactose/no fructose/some fructans and some polyols)

before: IBS-D(pseudo-diarrhoea), bloating, often unbearable pain esp from too much fat: Apr 2007- Dec 2010

FODMAPs: http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/072710p30.shtml

[I've tried VSL#3 -> I could tolerate v good amounts of IF (even with less SF), it worked great (but overall I find it too expensive)]

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3304 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5010

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review