All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Perimenopause - worsening symptoms?
      #366470 - 12/02/11 04:47 AM
vettech

Reged: 06/08/08
Loc: ME

I've noticed a very definite backslide in my symptoms the last few months. I had my annual checkup during which the doc tested my hormone levels, confirming that I am definitely in a perimenopausal state. She said the imbalance of my hormones can be causing my nausea and other symptoms. Anyone else have this happen? Any suggestions? She hasn't provided me much in the way of solutions. She wants to retest in a couple of weeks before doing anything since my TSH was also a bit off, but I don't really have symptoms of hypothyroidism (now hyperthyroidism I would believe since I am often anxious and restless lately, plus I have lost some weight).

--------------------
IBS-A and GERD since 1983
Low FODMAP since 2012

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Perimenopause - worsening symptoms? new
      #366473 - 12/02/11 08:06 AM
shelgirl

Reged: 09/22/09
Loc: Wisconsin

"Hang in there" is my first response:) I've been through it and it can be a rough and rocky road but really stick to whatever works for you during all this and you will get through! I had some really terrible times as those hormones just go crazy all over the place. It totally affected my IBS and I found myself doing whatever it would take to keep things from getting out of hand....acupuncture (mostly just to keep myself calm), supplements (again depends on what your body tolerates) and just really eating what your body tolerates. I found as I am "aging" I can no longer get away with those binges I used to try here and there.... Continue to ask alot of questions along the way...I'm sure there are many more of us here that are/have been through those wild hormonal times

--------------------
IBS-D. Eating gluten and dairy free.

#366474 - 12/02/11 09:13 AM
vettech

Thanks for the response and words of encouragement. The problem is, I can't seem to tolerate anything anymore, even the things that always helped in the past (certain supplements, foods, etc). I feel like I'm starting over!

--------------------
Low FODMAP since 2012

#366475 - 12/02/11 12:32 PM
shelgirl

Maybe you could just look at it from that perspective...starting from scratch? I know it's frustrating, but, your body is going through alot of changes right now. Maybe start back with Heather's suggestions of a basic diet...maybe some peppermint tea, etc.? I know for me I sometimes have to go into my basic chicken breast, rice, bread for a few days till everything seems to settle a bit. Try to stay calm and focused...good luck...it will get better

--------------------

#366476 - 12/02/11 02:45 PM
vettech

My old standby, chicken and rice, gave me a full blown attack yesterday from which I am just now recovering - it's never done that to me before. Today I've had mainly ginger tea (can't do peppermint due to GERD) and macaroni LOL! I've also stocked up on fat free saltines and baked chips - will have to spend some time reassessing things.

The main thing that concerns me is I've missed more work the last couple of months than I have the whole rest of the year. Granted, IBS by itself has caused me a lot of sick days over the years, but to have it suddenly double is problematic - how long does this exacerbation last?

--------------------
Low FODMAP since 2012

#366495 - 12/04/11 07:30 AM
shelgirl

Unfortunately everyone is different so it's hard to say. I also found that just eating a day of chicken, rice, etc...was generally not enough...I would have to eat it for at least 3 days to notice a change. That combined with whatever you can do for yourself to stay calm...I know so hard to do when you don't feel good and are worried about work, etc...Hopefully you are starting to feel a little better.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1360 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3622

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review