All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Stuck and feeling like yuck
      #366337 - 10/31/11 01:16 PM
KareBear

Reged: 05/30/11
Loc: Arizona

I found Heather's website about 175 days ago. I immediately got the first book and was enlightened on the whole mystery of IBS which has plagued me for 30 years. I immediately made eating changes, got the hypnotherapy CDS, and am still working my way through book two. Here is my issue for about the last 160 plus days I ate the same thing for every meal of every day. Here is how that looked;
Breakfast: 1 sourdough english muffin, with 1/2 light butter, & 1 teaspoon jelly. 1 40z cup original applesauce with 2 tblspns of benefiber (a god-send). 4 oz of room temperature water to take my Align probiotic.
Snack: 2 fortune cookies
Lunch: 1 five inch French roll, w/1 tblspn of light mayonaise, 4 slice of turkey breast.
Snack: 1 cup Honey Nut Chex cereal or Corn Pop cereal
Dinner: 8 fish sticks with 2 tblspn ketchup. 4 oz original applesauce with 2 tblspns of benefiber.
Water only to drink all day.
This worked well and over time my IBS episodes decreased and I lost much needed weight, 32 lbs so far. Upon occasion I may have gone to Subway to have turkey on white bread with easy light mayo and lettuce. Other than that things were the exact same. I thought when I get through the 100 days of the hypnotherapy I would add some variety in to the diet. I did this with raw carrots as a snack or with dinner. Things were okay. Now lately I am in desperate need of some variety. My issue is this I don't like most food and have a quick gag reflex for anything that just gives me the inkling of not being good, so many of Heather's suggestions don't work for me. However, I still need something different and don't know how to get there. I wrote in a separate post about my confusion with flour, animal crackers, and graham crackers because my stomach is just not happy again and I am always nauseous. Prior to this IBS diet I had the eating likes of a five year old because food has always made me sick so I ate things like; pb&j sandwichs, cereal & milk, raw carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, jicama, salads, antipasto salads, PIZZA, cheese burgers, fries, onion rings, goldfish crackers, etc....well obviously Heather's books shown a light on pretty much everything I ate. I have given it all up fairly easily, including soda. I don't miss anything except for the occassional pizza craving. My weight loss only reminds me of how bad and full of fat my old eating habits were, yet there was variety which I miss. I would love suggestions from anyone keeping in mind my lack of tolerable food. For instance can I eat those Dole Peach cups, the peaches would be pealed and I don't drink the juice? I do know now about Tostitos which are great although a little salty. Oh, another issue...I don't cook...beyond the ability to make oatmeal, scrambled eggs (which I am not a big fan) and jello (is that considered cooking?). I have eaten oatmeal once or twice recently and it seems fine. Basically I am frustrated feeling gross I think because of a flour misunderstanding and the eating of graham crackers. I am going back to my old menu that I was on when I first started all these changes to see if my stomach will calm down, but seriously how many fish sticks and fortune cookies can one person eat?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Stuck and feeling like yuck new
      #366355 - 11/03/11 02:26 PM
Marilyn

Reged: 05/02/03

Hi KareBear

At one point, I was on crackers and water only, and still had IBS symptoms pretty bad. I think following a basic healthy diet as anyone should is helpful, and sometimes one thing can bother you, and another day it doesnt! If you are always nauseous you may want to see the doctor to make sure something else isnt going on besides the IBS. For some support with how diet and the hypnotherapy tie in together, you can call 877-898-2539 and get some encouragement there perhaps.

I think getting yourself back on your diet to get stable sounds like a good idea - I hope you can sort this and all the best to you.

--------------------
My Journey and Success with the IBS Audio Program Hypnotherapy Program: www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=hypnotherapy&Number=224850

A sugggestion ..... new
      #366356 - 11/03/11 02:40 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

You might try removing the applesauce from your diet for a couple of days and see if it makes a difference. Apples are high in excess fructose (i.e. they have more of the sugar fructose than the sugar glucose) which is known to exacerbate IBS symptoms in some people and sometimes produces D.

For an explanation of how fructose and other FODMAPs fit into the management of function GI disorders such as IBS through simple dietary changes read the first two links in my signature.

Good luck

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

IBS-C or D, KareBear ? new
      #366357 - 11/03/11 04:51 PM
KellyJean

Reged: 06/22/11
Loc: Missouri

Hi KareBear,

Did you write somewhere if you are IBS-C or D? I'm just curious because of all the nausea you fight. For the longest time I thought I was one of the only people who had that as a primary symptom- I hardly ever saw it listed. I have IBS-C and my last 3 years have been dealing with nausea and vomiting. I know some people say they throw up from the pain of an attack, and I do that, too, but I also fought being nauseous almost all the time. The throwing up would often come at the beginning of an attack when the only other real symptom I could feel was somewhat painless (but incredibly bothersome!) spasms in my gut. Then I'd get the "charlie-horse" type of pain after that. Anyway, I talked to my GI about these symptoms and he said he actually hears that pretty frequently from his severe IBS patients. With my constipation being so bad, once the spasms start the stuff in my stomach has to go SOMEWHERE...but it is blocked from the constipation so it takes the easier way out--- I throw up!
I don't know if this is your problem at all, but wanted to encourage you to hang in there and keep fighting to find the right things to help you. I've been following the great suggestions on these message boards since around June or July, and I haven't thrown up in about 3 months! I'm finally able to start going places without being afraid of an attack. We DO all sympathize with you and certainly know how bad it can be. Keep asking questions and try to be patient over the days and weeks as you hopefully begin to see positive changes.
I'll try to think of other easy food ideas since you said you don't cook. Oh...have you been tested to know if gluten is a problem for you? I noticed that you eat normal flour and didn't know if that could be part of the problem.
I eat bananas a LOT since reading Heather's books. I always avoided them because I was told they'd add to my constipation. It cracks me up because they are now my best defense against my episodes!! If I start to feel sick I grab a banana and eat it slowly. It almost always settles everything down! Weird. Heather says it's because soluble fibers not only don't trigger attacks, they actually SOOTHE our guts.
Hang in there!!
KellyJean

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1533 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2688

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review