All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Commencement
      #3660 - 03/21/03 02:25 PM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

I am so excited, I got infromation yesturday about commencement. I am excited about graduating but not the ceremony. It is May 10 and it is two hours long. It usually starts getting warm then and I have attacks when its humid out or if I get over heated. I have never been crazy about going to commencement but my husband thinks I should. TWO HOURS. Any opinions out there?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Commencement new
      #3743 - 03/22/03 11:15 AM
H2

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Ohio

Give it a shot! I often try to go to events that seem intimidating to me, as long as I can drive myself. For some reason, I do better if I know that I can always leave if I need to.

Sometimes I force myself to go to things, even though I would feel safer staying home. The more I go, the easier the next time is.

p.s. Congratulations on graduation! I am trying to get there myself!

--------------------
-h2
"Soluble fiber not included."

Re: You Go Girl! new
      #3744 - 03/22/03 01:03 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Torbetta - read your post. You were excited to get the grad info, yet say you are not enthuised about going. I think it's just your IBS fears getting in the way. After having gone to all of the effort TO graduate, you should at least CELEBRATE. Go to the grad. You worked for it and earned it. You deserve to be honoured on this special day. That's what these ceremonies are for. I can't remember if you're C or D or both. If you are D, what I did was take an imodium. I have 2 degrees - so I survived 2 "hood" ceremonies. Go and be happy. If worst comes to worst, ask if you can sit on the end of an aisle. Who cares if you have to get up to go to the bathroom? You will not lose marks or your degree so don't worry. And if you can't get an aisle seat, who cares? No one will care if you have to get up. If they do, they aren't worth worrying about and probably don't know you anyway!!!!!! There will not be signs posted saying "NO bathroom breaks!" Yes, I'm being cheeky, but seriously. Go. And if you don't want to go out for dinner afterwards, fine. Prepare some of your favourite dishes at home and enjoy. Toast yourself to a drink - or maybe some sparkling grape juice - I love the stuff and in small amounts with food, I can tolerate a bit. BTW- what is your degree? What is your major? Congrats. Any more thoughts on a brother for your girls? BTW - your girls are beautiful.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: You Go Girl! new
      #4156 - 03/26/03 11:31 AM
torbetta

Thank you. I feel like I haven't had two minutes to myself lately so I haven't gotten back to you, sorry.

I will have a B.S. in Individualized studies. I switched over in Jan., a week before classes. This has worked great for me and I wish I had done this when I went back in fall on 2001. My concentrations are in Exceptional education, elementary ed., and educational foundations. I am taking two classes right now. One I don't need and the other is required to graduate. I have to do a final project and this project is stressing me out. I am doing it on autistic support services in the area and I have just done a survey for parents that I will get back the beginning of April. I have most of the information I need just trying to write up the report, should be fun. Looking forward to my daughter's spring break because I want to get it finished before the end of April and I will have more time to keep up with the housework if I'm not taking my daughter to school.

I am not planning on working until my kids are in school and then I only want to work part-time. I think this degree will help me when the time comes. My husband has started his own business building computers and I am planning on helping him put quotes together and anything else he needs. I think that will actually be fun.

Still planning on waiting till July to try for the boy. Still nervous about how I will do with another pregnancy and child. But as my sister said about herself and I agree, I just don't feel complete, it feels like there is a child missing. I personal feel like I see this image of another child that is just fuzzy right now. I can so picture one or maybe even two more. We shall see. I will let you know when I am.

Re: My turn for worries - HELP!!!!!!!!! new
      #4170 - 03/26/03 03:51 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Sounds like a solid foundation for a job. Interesting, too. Autism can be perplexing and incredible at the same time. I've taught a few autistic kids in special ed. Interesting. Anyway, it sounds like to me that your fear of pregnancy is totally IBS based. Hey, if we can manage labor, certainly we can handle whatever IBS throws at us through pregnancy. Besides, you have a fair control of your symptoms, right? You already have lots of coping strategies in place, and you have us. I was wondering, now that I'm almost 4 months pregnant - HOW did you manage with two? I'm so afraid that I can't manage my son (who will be 2 when the baby is born) plus the baby plus IBS plus Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (I was just diagnosed this fall and am coping). IBS and OCD are clouding this pregnancy - is that making me worry so? Is it normal to worry about how we will manage? To complicate things, my husband works out of town a lot - so I'm on my own 24 hours a day most of the time. I have a great Mom and Mother-in-law so I'm not totally without support but it's not the same. Any advice? How did you manage with baby number 2? I'm so worried!

--------------------

#4201 - 03/26/03 07:23 PM
torbetta

My girls are 25 months apart and I didn't cope well at all. The biggest thing I learned was to just relax and take your time. Don't rush back into things after the baby. It takes a good month or two to get used to the changes and your son is going to look huge next to the baby. The weird thing is I had a hard time changing Meike. I was so used to Maddie helping me dress her that having to manipulate Meike was weird. Plus, at that time I had Maddie stand up to pull her pants on after a changing, can't do that with a newborn. I still try this with babies. I put pants on my friend's 9-month-old son and it was really strange, he kept crawling away from me and he was laughing at me.

Another thing, your children will be so different. Try not to expect the same behaviors and mannerisms that can be frustrating. Maddie was a great baby, quiet crier, content, loved to be around everyone. Meike cry was more like screaming, she fell asleep when I nursed and didn't get enough to eat and she cried for six weeks almost all the time. At night she slept only when she was in bed with me. I finally realized she was cold and need to be warmed, so we warmed her bed before putting her down and wrapped her up tight. Maddie didn't like to be wrapped. I don't mean to scare you because like I said they are all different. Meike was difficult from pregnancy. She used to kick me when I laid on my side until I moved. She did this every single night during the last trimester. It is amazing what you can learn from the way they move in the womb. My sister said the sweetest thing to me today. She told me God gave me her because I have the patients. What she didn't know is during Meike's first year, I prayed daily to love her and have patience with her. She is now our little comedian and she is the smartest thing I have ever seen. She walked at nine months, talked in complete sentences early (not sure when but compared to the others her age it was early) and she knew her ABC before she was 18 months. Amazing the differences. Maddie is compassionate and creative. She has lots of friends and cries at the drop of the hat. Meike likes to talk back and is so sneaky. We were shopping today and started yelling at a lady because she was standing in front of something she wanted to see. I was embarrassed and I wanted to laugh. She thinks saying we are onions in a snippy voice is funny and she likes to hide in her room with Maddie's juice cup everyday drinking it until Maddie gets mad and cries. Too bad I knew what she is doing.

I enjoy them so much when I relax and accept them for who they are.

Don't ask me about my kids, you can't shut me up. Thanks for asking because that is something that scared me was the postpartum depression I experienced after Meike. I don't want to experience that again. I feel better now.

#4214 - 03/27/03 04:13 AM
mamaraggi

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: Davie, Florida

Hi
Just thought I'd let you know that I've in much the same place. I had a daughter two years and five days after I had my son. I didn't know about IBS then, just thought I had a constant case of the flu...I also had severe post-partum depression and anxiety attacks. This early (4 Mos.) time in the pregnancy is a hard time NOT to worry. So many what ifs and how will we's...My husband is a trucker so I'm alone alot, too. But we got through it, times were hard. Rhiannon was born with a hip problem and one month later my son needed eye surgery (boy, was I sick then!)but the point is,you will get thru it and the baby will be beautiful and it will all be worth it. Try to live in the now -Not easy, I know!!!!I'll say a prayer for you.
betsy

#4265 - 03/27/03 11:48 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Thanks to all. I needed to hear that.

--------------------

HanSolo new
      #4302 - 03/27/03 01:46 PM
torbetta

How did you feel when you were first pregnant? Do you get nausous? My sister found out today she is pregant with baby number 4. I am still in shock. She was suppose to find out yesturday but the place she got blood work done didn't check it right away. I felt like I was the one pregnant waiting for those results. I couldn't sleep last night. I asked her if I can be in the delivery room with her and she said we shall see. I told her she can be in there with me if she lets me. Last time she said I could have why not now right?

#4303 - 03/27/03 01:49 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I don't have any children (yet!) but I think family is SO important! I just want to say you sound like you're a great mom doing a terrific job--and I wish you all the things you need to keep your fam going strong! Good luck!!!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 7211 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2010

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review