All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Having Flare Up - Left Side Ache & Need Food Advice
      #365848 - 08/20/11 11:57 AM
seashell

Reged: 05/22/09
Loc: CA, USA

I noticed that often after a stressful period in my life, I will have a bout of IBS. During the more mellow times or even during the stress, I don't notice it. As I age, I'm 43 now, I notice these flare up are more of a problem. I have been losing a little sleep because the gas pain/cramps will wake me up for a few hours.

I only seem to have gas but not so much C - maybe limited bowel movements but I do have them.

The most pain is from the lower left side in a particular spot and seems to occur after a meal. I decided last night that I really have to make some changes. I think I will but after a few hours of being hungry for say, Mexican food, I lose my will and then suffer afterwards!

I've heard that the spot where the large and small intestines connect is often a source of discomfort and I think that's what is so sensitive. But, I'm going to the docs next week for a check, line up some tests, just make sure it's not anything else.

In the meantime, I didn't drink my half-caff for the first time this morning and man, am i tired! Plus, I didn't have my morning "movement" so I'm wondering if I'll be C for days?

I did buy Teecino and am learning here that if you have gas and bloating, it might not be the best way to go. Ugh.

Bought some sourdough breads, have oatmeal and rice on hand. What is the all time best thing to do for so much gas and pain? Peppermint caps? Fennel tea? I don't have those on hand yet. Will be buying them today.

Any advice appreciated, sorry to ramble!

--------------------
IBS-C, gas & bloating
----------------------

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Having Flare Up - Left Side Ache & Need Food Advice new
      #365853 - 08/21/11 06:41 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Stopping caffeinated drinks can cause C for a few days but as you know caffeine is a strong GI stimulant so it is worth while going through a small C period to get off the caffeine.

The junction between the small and large intestine is on the lower right hand side of your body. Pain or discomfort of the left hand side is common place for IBS symptoms.

You might also check the first two links in my signature for more information on a clinically tested diet for managing functional bowel disorders like IBS. I use a combination of Heather's EFI diet and the FODMAP diet discussed in the links to successfully manage my symptoms.

Good luck

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#365854 - 08/21/11 08:11 AM
shelgirl

Reged: 09/22/09
Loc: Wisconsin

I too get pains on the left side. I know it IS very difficult to live in a world where there are SOOO many tempting yummy foods that are so very bad for the stomach, but, in the long run you really have to work at incorporating these diets into your life and it will help immensely. I think the key really is finding a balance and that takes some work to find what that means for yourself as everyone is different. There is much great advice in these posts and on this website. Start slowly and give yourself some time and hopefully you will be on the road to feeling much better

--------------------
IBS-D. Eating gluten and dairy free.

#365855 - 08/21/11 09:25 AM
seashell

Reged: 05/22/09
Loc: CA, USA

Oh, I didn't realize the connection was on the right side, guess it's pure IBS but strange it's always in the same spot. I've been caffeine free day 2 - last night was a whopper of a headache! I did have C yesterday (used to my coffee induced movement) but was relieved this morning after having some Eater's Digest Tea. Eating lots of sourdough breads, rice crackers (fat free), and turkey for protein. I do get an episode after every meal but found some coated peppermint caps at the healthfood store and those seem to take the edge off. Sure hope I can stick to the diet because I sure do get cravings! Even feeling good for a few hours, it's easy to forget the pain you had earlier and try to eat the yummy fat-filled foods. Hopefully this lower fat diet will help me lose a few pounds

--------------------
IBS-C, gas & bloating
----------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 7034 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2093

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review