All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Erythritol???
      #365834 - 08/18/11 08:48 AM
shelgirl

Reged: 09/22/09
Loc: Wisconsin

Wondering about this sweetener. I have found it listed in some different items. I found this online, any thoughts??

"Erythritol is an excellent sugar alcohol that has no laxative side effects and no glycemic effect at all on the blood sugar. However, all sugar alcohols have a kind of cooling effect on the taste buds and erythritol has that effect more than xylitol or malitol. It is also the weakest in sweetening power. Used half and half with xylitol gives some of its benefits without the disadvantages in taste. In certain instances, xylitol must be used in the recipe because it will caramelize the way that sugar does whereas other sweeteners do not."

--------------------
IBS-D. Eating gluten and dairy free.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Erythritol??? new
      #365835 - 08/18/11 09:17 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Below is a quote from the second reference in my signature. It suggests that erythritol is well absorbed in the jejunum , middle part of small intestine. It is not well absorbed in the ileum , the last part. The results is that while it does not have as much osmotic laxative properties as other sugar alcohols it can still be malabsorbed and fermented in the colon producing gas and discomfort.

Quote:

For example, a 4-carbon polyol, is well-absorbed in the jejunum but mannitol, a 6-carbon polyol, is not.[31] Secondly, there is variation of pore size along the small intestine with larger pores proximally. Thus, erythritol is less well-absorbed in the ileum.[32] The rapidity of transit through the jejunum will therefore influence the degree of absorption. Finally, pore size is affected by mucosal disease; pore size reduces in celiac disease where erythritol is poorly absorbed.

It is likely something you should use cautiously.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#365836 - 08/18/11 09:38 AM
shelgirl

Reged: 09/22/09
Loc: Wisconsin

Interesting...what about agave nectar?

--------------------
IBS-D. Eating gluten and dairy free.

#365837 - 08/18/11 09:49 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Agave nectar has more excess fructose than high fructose corn syrup. It can contain from 50-90% fructose. It you are at all sensitive to excess fructose agave nectar is not a good sweetener.

Pure stevia is a good no calorie sweetener with no IBS side effects. Be careful. Many stevia products contain other things like erythritol and/or FOS.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2586 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3797

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review