All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Curcumin?
      #365601 - 07/22/11 09:40 AM
shelgirl

Reged: 09/22/09
Loc: Wisconsin

Anyone have any opinion or experience using Curcumin (tumeric)? If so, taking it in capsules or just via food? I've been reading alot of good things about it, including helping with IBS???

--------------------
IBS-D. Eating gluten and dairy free.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Curcumin? new
      #365602 - 07/22/11 10:17 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Curcumin has anti-inflammatory properties which have been shown to be helpful for managing inflammatory bowel disease such as Crohn's or ulcerative colitis. You can read more about it in one of Heather's newsletters in the section on Herbs for IBD.

There is little, if any, clinical evidence to show it is effective for managing IBS.

You can buy it as a powder in the spice section of the grocery store. It is good in rice, stews, curries, soups and fish dishes.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#365605 - 07/23/11 05:55 PM
seattleite

Reged: 01/07/10
Loc: Seattle

Theres a clinical trial on Curcumin for IBS currently enrolling (also being looked at for other things like radiation dermatitis) but its 9 grams in caps BID...which would be a lot of bigger sized pills to swallow. I wonder if it will actually help..

--------------------
IBS-D since 2008, female in her 20s

#365607 - 07/24/11 06:35 AM
Syl

9 grams of turmeric would contain a lot of insoluble fiber given it is about 23% insoluble fiber by weight. They started enrolling in 2008 for the clinical trial which was suppose to be over in Nov 2009. Nothing has been published. Perhaps the trial results were not so good or they ran into problems.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#365615 - 07/24/11 04:04 PM
seattleite

Reged: 01/07/10
Loc: Seattle

I work in clinical trials and thats not uncommon for a study to be open for 2 years (actually thats about average). They probably didnt meet their enrollment goal on time and sometimes studies get put on hold for statistical analysis then re-open. Looks like the webpage was last update Dec 2010 so it could be closed to enrollment by now. But it takes forever to get papers published...one of the most frustrating parts of my job!

--------------------
IBS-D since 2008, female in her 20s

#365616 - 07/24/11 06:26 PM
Syl

Interesting. My wife is a CRA monitoring phase 2/3 trials She tells me that most of the clinical trials she has worked are reasonably close to being on time and two years past projected close would be a bit excessive for those trials. However, this is a phase 4 study which has a different set of regs.

It would be interesting to know what, if anything, is the delay in this trial. Enrollment and drop out rates could be a factor. According to the trial change history the recruitment status was changed in Dec 2008 and they were still recruiting in Nov 2010.

The study results have to appear on the ClinicalTrials.gov web site. We will have to keep our eyes open for the results.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 821 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4526

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review