All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Needing some help today
      #365435 - 07/07/11 08:54 AM
shelgirl

Reged: 09/22/09
Loc: Wisconsin

I'm literally sitting here trying desperately NOT to vomit! Woke up last night with alot of gas pains got up this morning and had some rooibus tea then ate some rice crispies but with each spoonful the feeling got worse. Had a slight bm, but that too hasn't been regular. I've been under alot of stress lately and things seem to be getting a little worse every day. I've lost a little more weight and that has just added to my stress level! I have a minor surgical thing scheduled for Monday and I HAVE to get this under control. Please advise what to consume today? Should I be taking fiber when I feel like this? (I think I should but taking it and drinking all that water is not very appealing right now!). Any responses for some immediate help would be appreciated??

--------------------
IBS-D. Eating gluten and dairy free.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Needing some help today new
      #365437 - 07/07/11 09:25 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Try How can I break the cycle of attacks

Stick with the soluble fiber supplement too.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#365438 - 07/07/11 09:49 AM
shelgirl

Thanks for the link...couldn't find it earlier. Will keep up the fiber too....and working on the stress...I can always feel it like someone is turning a corkscrew in my stomach and I know within 24 hours I'm going to be in trouble no matter what I eat. I wonder if increasing the fiber during those times would help? I rarely can eat alot and the lack of food in the digestive track probably creates more spasms???

--------------------

#365439 - 07/07/11 10:37 AM
KellyJean

Reged: 06/22/11
Loc: Missouri

Hi shelgirl-
So sorry to hear you're feeling so terrible! Do you drink the peppermint tea? I have IBS-C and Celiac, but also have the weird added symptom of vomiting. I guess that's not a "normal" IBS issue (most get just nausea, or vomiting from the pain). I battle it every single time I have an attack. My doctor scripted a sublingual zofran that helps a LOT with nausea if I can take it before I start throwing up.
Since finding this website about a month or 2 ago, I've also found several of Heather's ideas to be REALLY helpful. I never FEEL like eating when I'm nauseous, but I have found that if I nibble on something like her rice pudding recipe, or even a small banana, it does seem to soothe my system. I also immediately brew some really strong peppermint tea and sip that (usually 3-4 large cups full!) while holding my electric heating pad against my stomach. I have to sit really still, or just gently rock back and forth a bit, and I can't lay back much at all...sit upright in bed or in a comfortable chair. ANYTHING that relaxes you will help- I usually like it fairly dark, and I have aromatherapy lotion that I rub into my hands and arms (I love Bath&Body's "Relax" and "Sleep" lotions). I definitely need to be still and quiet. If you're having a lot of stress lately, I'm sure that's adding to how you feel today.
I hope some of this helps. I wouldn't stop taking the fiber- I think that helps our IBS no matter WHAT else is going on. I put it in my hot tea- just a teaspoon- about every other cup of tea throughout the day (remember- I'm a MAJOR "C" !!) The fiber and tea will both help settle things down, but it does take time.
Let us know how you do thru the weekend and into your appointment next week. Try to rest !
KellyJean

#365440 - 07/07/11 10:57 AM
shelgirl

Thanks for the GREAT suggestions KellyJean. Took some fiber and had a little soup and toast. I do like Peppermint Tea...which fiber do you use? I've also struggled with that issue too?? I currently am using citrucel, but...that also causes me some gas.

--------------------

#365442 - 07/07/11 06:35 PM
KellyJean

Reged: 06/22/11
Loc: Missouri

Are you feeling any better?!
I use a couple of brands. Since I have to take so much, I just figured I might as well try the benefits of a couple different types! I took mostly Metamucil's "Clear&Natural" before finding Heather's site. It works real well for me (although I'm still so much in the thick of this whole thing that I have a long climb out. I'm working my way up in amount of fiber supplement per day)This one is inulin fiber, and disolves instantly in my hot tea. No taste, no grit. I've used the Citrucel, too, and I agree with you!! (extra gas even tho it states that it "won't cause extra gas" !) I like the Acacia fiber now that I have it, too. It's harder to mix, but not bad at all. I put it in my tea, too. We have to be careful with supplements to keep checking that they're gluten free. Many aren't.
I hope you've gotten a break from the nausea. It sure is hard to deal with. It always feels so great when it passes and you can LAY DOWN again and rest!!
Hope you sleep well tonight! KellyJean

#365446 - 07/08/11 08:20 AM
shelgirl

Felt a little better last night, but, didn't sleep and again this morning is really a pain! My mornings are always difficult....I feel ok when I get up but whatever I put in my stomach first thing always gives me some pain..I can literally feel the spasms..then it seems as I get more in my stomach as the day goes on things improve somewhat(usually)...

I have not tried the inulin as that seemed to be difficult for alot of people here. Glad it seems to work for you. Anything with psyllium I know is not for me....I haven't tried the one that has wheat or corn dextrin (they say the wheat one is gluten free??). Did not try Heather's but did try another organic acacia and not sure...maybe I didn't stick with it long enough.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 297 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3572

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review