All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Problems with Chicken/Meat Edge Layers (Heather ever heard of this?
      #365276 - 06/26/11 09:41 PM
hudlander

Reged: 09/26/10

OK, so I have noticed a very annoying trend that is causing me problems, and is VERY hard to avoid.

I eat Chicken Breast/Fish that is skinless, boneless.
I salted/pepper/parpika/parsely it, then put it in the oven at 350 to bake.
OR I put it on a pan, and sautee it but just with Pam (which has trivial amounts of fat).

It comes out, and it has a crust/skin/caramelization layer.

When I eat it, I feel bloated and have a reaction after.

BUT, when I get canned chicken or order steamed shrimp/fish, I get NO REACTION whatsoever.

Is there ANY identifiable reason as to why such would give me issues?

What I do not get/understand is why I am getting reactions from baked chicken, but not canned chicken, do you have clue why?
The same thing happens with fish.
I had grilled tuna on a grill and was fine, then I had tuna cooked on a pan with pam, it had the caramelized layer, and I felt awful after.

Why is this happening?
Have you Heather EVER heard of this, I mean we are talking 99% FF meat with not even smart balance added!

I can't really "steam" chicken or ground meat, I do not know how I am supposed to cope when it seems I cannot:
-Bake/Sautee food!!!

Would this lead you all to believe my IBS and stomach are so sensitive that dieting more is not going to solve it and I should look towards something like hypno?
I mean if my gut is this sensitive, how can dieting ever pay off?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Problems with Chicken/Meat Edge Layers (Heather ever heard of this? new
      #365282 - 06/27/11 09:34 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Nonenzymatic browning or browning of foods such as meat is similar to caramelization. It is not known to be a IBS trigger. It is likely one of those individual IBS mysteries.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Problems with Chicken/Meat Edge Layers (Heather ever heard of this? new
      #365303 - 06/28/11 12:54 PM
mavera

Reged: 12/28/10
Loc: The Netherlands

I thought this sensitivity for 'crust' on meat/chicken (even potatoes etc) is one of the most known triggers for a sensitive stomach.

Another diet I tried also suggests this (dr Truelove diet), it tells to cook all your meat/chicken (for a few weeks/months). Or perhaps on a very low fire in the pan, and cut the hard edges.. (but it tastes like crap!)

So I don't think it's a really abnormal or 'extreme' sensitivity you have(in IBS/functional GI disorder-way).
A lot of sensitivities are not (YET!) chemically/biologically understood I guess.
(The FODMAP trouble I find much more abnormal!! )

Luckely I personally do not seem to have much trouble with it, but I am a bit cautious with it.

--------------------
PI-IBS-C/A nausea & very bad gastric pain
meds: lansoprazol+macrogol
started EFI +FODMAPs 1/2011. 'Relapse' for 8 months. Now partly back on track again with the diet..

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2088 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1569

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review