All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Maintaining the right portion sizes
      #364006 - 03/16/11 12:19 PM
jennaj

Reged: 03/16/11

So, I've been trying the IBS diet for a few years now and for the most part I've felt a lot better. During the day, I eat every few hours and snack on soluble fiber, however I have a hard time knowing how much to eat and when to eat, especially in the evening. Is it best to eat only when you feel hunger pangs? And how do you be sure not to eat too much? Often, I realize I've eaten too much because I have a spasm in the evening after dinner.
Also, are protein shakes ok? I was thinking of trying that for dinner-bleneded with veggies and/or fruit.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Maintaining the right portion sizes new
      #364015 - 03/18/11 12:45 PM
Sheeda

Reged: 05/04/08
Loc: Barbados

I control my portion sizes by eating on a smaller plate, like a dessert plate. Might sound silly but it's not as depressing as starting out with a small amount of food on a big old dinner plate. Then if I'm still hungry, I'll wait like half hour and have a little more.

--------------------
“Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow.”- Mary Anne Radmacher

Re: Maintaining the right portion sizes new
      #364038 - 03/22/11 10:49 AM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

I, well we, actually use a digital scale to measure our portions. Measuring out your food will help you not overeat and have attacks. Because I'm a little eater, my portions are 2 to 3 ounces of chicken breast, 3/4 cup of starch, and 1/2 to 3/4 cup veggies for dinner. Or if it's pasta or rice as the main part of the meal, I might eat a cup at a serving. And I eat on a salad plate or use a pasta bowl. It looks less intimidating than a dinner plate.

Shakes are a great idea too! Heather has some great recipes. I actually drink low-sodium V8 juice with green barley powder in it for lunch with some toast or crackers for a soluable fiber buffer.

Keeping a food diary also helps know exactly what you ate. Hubby and I both keep one. There are a number of excellent online "diet" resources that let you track your food. We do it and found it makes a huge difference when we realize what we're putting in our mouth (and helped the waistline too!)

(Note: I'm fairly stable, so I'm vegging out as much as I can tolerate in my diet.)

Good luck!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2099 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1342

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review