All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Prepping for hydrogen breath test and SIBO test?
      #363909 - 03/06/11 07:36 PM
seattleite

Reged: 01/07/10
Loc: Seattle

A few questions:
1) What drink do they give you to determine if you have lactose intolerance? Is it lactose? If so does it make you sick (ie cramp, D, etc.) if you have lactose intolerance?
2) The prep pamphlet i recieved says to avoid fiber for 1 week prior to both tests. Really? Im worried if i stop Acacia then it will cause me to go back to having D everyday.
3) should i stop my probiotics too prior to the test?

--------------------
IBS-D since 2008, female in her 20s

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Prepping for hydrogen breath test and SIBO test? new
      #363914 - 03/07/11 03:50 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

They give you lactose for the lactose intolerance. If you are lactose intolerant you may have some reaction. The removal of certain things from you diet is so that a good baseline breath test result can be gotten before you take the drink. Exactly what does the instruction sheet say about fiber and other foods to avoid for a week?

Could you tell me if they are using glucose or lactulose (note - this is not the same as lactose) as the test drink for the SIBO test?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#363915 - 03/07/11 05:22 AM
CellSalts_Work

Reged: 08/15/10

for me it was 50mg of lactose as white powder diluted in water.
if you are lactose intolerant you could have D or cramping or just bloating. I went for the test today, a bit unnecessary as I knew I was lactose intolerant (does milk give you trouble?) but since I'd had it booked for 2 and a half months, did not want to cancel. I obviously had the most severe symptom, ie D within 5 mins and my result shot up to 100 after 1. (after you blow into that machine). the lady being tested beside me had bloating but no D, so you see different people react differently so it's a scale.

as for prepping instructions were as follows: no wholemeal food, no beans or pulses and nothing to eat after midnight the day before the test. then day of test empty stomach, you can drink black tea or coffee (which i cant anyway so it was all a bit too much overall since the hospital was really really far away). I had nothing of the sort of only eat chicken and white rice and potatoes etc so i merely followed what I'd been told.

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,
(pseudo-)D and bloating April 2007-December 2010, now stable

#363918 - 03/07/11 06:57 AM
seattleite

My doctor wants to confirm that i have lactose intolerance. I havent drank milk or had much dairy in my diet in years but i remember recently (months ago) having problems with sour cream, pizza, and 2% milk fat greek yogurt.

So once you reacted did they stop or did you have to do the full 3 hours?

--------------------

#363919 - 03/07/11 07:06 AM
CellSalts_Work

Reged: 08/15/10

what you do is drink the entire solution then not eat or drink anything for three hours and they record the data every half an hour. ie you only drink the lactose once. even if it is obvious that you have problems you have to do the whole thing I think. for me it the data was 1, 5, 30,100,100,100 you know, just about. but seen other results (the nurse showed me) sometimes it was quite level for 4 times then it shot up to 30 from 8 after two and a half hours and that was still positive. so I am quite sure they do do the whole test with all people.

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,
(pseudo-)D and bloating April 2007-December 2010, now stable

#364168 - 04/07/11 05:57 PM
seattleite

They will be using lactulose. I've had to wait 6 weeks for an appointment and finally go in on Monday.

--------------------

#364177 - 04/08/11 10:23 AM
Syl

The use of lactulose for SIBO in the breath test is known to have a high incidence of false positive results. In 2008 there was a good article on this in the American Journal of Gastroenterology The lactulose breath test for diagnosing SIBO in IBS patients: another nail in the coffin..

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

Re: Syl-Prepping for hydrogen breath test and SIBO test? new
      #364197 - 04/08/11 07:24 PM
seattleite

Thanks I will bring this up to my physician, however, i think if this Lactulose test was really invalid and had the data to support that then they wouldn't even be doing the test on me. Im getting it done at one of Seattle's best hospitals and they actually do GI research there (no IBS studies though).
(Also I can only see the abstract, where can i read the whole paper?)

--------------------

Re: Syl-Prepping for hydrogen breath test and SIBO test? new
      #364203 - 04/09/11 07:18 AM
Syl

There have been a number of research papers written on the topic including one co-authored by Dr. Drossman, co-Director of the UNC Center for Functional GI & Motility Disorders and ex-head of the ROME III committee.

Unfortunately, unless you are affiliated with a University or other organization that has a subscription to electronic journal you will not be able to read the full articles.

You probably know that the notion of a relationship between IBS and SIBO is highly controversial. Dr. Pimentel original proposed diagnosing SIBO by means of the lactulose hydrogen breath test and he reported positive tests in 78–84% of patients with IBS. However, more recent reports that did aspirations directly from the jejunum (the middle section of the small intestine) only found SIBO in only 4% of the IBS population and detected no differences from a healthy population.

The controversy on the relationship between SIBO and IBS is witnessed in the American College of Gastroentrology's report An Evidence-Based Systematic Review on the Management of Irritable Bowel Syndrome. It says "A great deal of attention has been focused on the potential role of small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) in the pathogenesis of IBS symptoms. Available data on this topic have yielded conflicting results. On a practical level, currently there is no available gold standard test to diagnose SIBO. For these reasons, the Task Force feels that there is insufficient evidence to recommend the performance of lactulose or glucose breath tests to identify SIBO in patients with IBS."

It will be interesting to hear what you GI doctor says and finds

Good luck

--------------------

Re: Xifaxan new
      #366038 - 09/08/11 03:36 PM
seattleite

I thought I should make an update on this since people on here seem to be interested in personal experiences. I was tested for SIBO and it came back as "borderline". My GI provider gave me a rx for Xifaxan (600mgBID x 2 weeks). My baseline symptoms were the usual (for IBS-D I mean)- cramps, gas, "D" average 1-2 days/wk.
Supplements: I take Acacia ½ tsp BID, 15 billion probiotic, calcium, vitamin D, good quality colostrum, and Fish Oil. I also try to follow Heathers diet.
Week 1 of antibiotic- I felt great, I think I cut down on Acacia to ½ tsp once a day just to see how things went.
Week 2- I stopped probiotic b/c I thought, well if the antibiotic is killing ALL the bacteria in my gut why am I wasting money by taking the probiotic if its going to be killed anyway? I had 1-2 loose BM one day the morning after I had super greasy fries the night before (which also gave me cramps that night I ate them, stupid mistake I know). Also during week 2 I seemed to have some cramping/belly aches but no gas, and BMs were paler.

Day 2 of being off of antibiotic- I've restarted my probiotics. Too soon to report how I feel but normal BMs so far, and less gas than before. I'll continue to take all my supplements and continue on Heathers diet for the most part (Im a bit of a health-nut anyway)then maybe report back later.

This may not have been very helpful but I dont think i've seen anyone else report back after taking this newer antibiotic and i always wished someone had.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 489 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9496

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review