All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
question about Bran flour, with IBS-D?
      #363855 - 03/04/11 07:31 AM
happy2b

Reged: 02/19/11
Loc: South Carolina

can Bran products, i.e., Bran flour, be used safely when a person has IBS-D?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: question about Bran flour, with IBS-D? new
      #363856 - 03/04/11 07:55 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Bran is 100% IF and best avoided as with all whole grain products especially for IBS-D.

In the FAQ it says "Whole wheat, with its outer layer of bran, is high in insoluble fiber. This means that it's a trigger. That's why whole wheat bread, whole wheat cereals, and bran can cause such awful problems for people with IBS."

It goes on to say "However, when you remove the bran from whole wheat you end up with white flour (the regular kind you can buy in any grocery store, that you use for home baking breads, muffins, etc.). Though this is still wheat flour, it is not whole wheat flour, and this makes a world of difference. White flour contains no insoluble fiber but it does have soluble fiber, which is the stabilizing force of the IBS diet (just picture the thick gel that results when you dissolve a piece of white bread in a glass of water). This is why white breads are such great safe staples". According to the reference below this isn't quite accurate as white flour is composed of about equal amounts of insoluble and soluble fiber when you take into consideration the resistant.

Reference
Ranhotra, G. S., Gelroth, J. A. & Astroth, K. Total and soluble fiber in selected bakery and other cereal products. . Cereal Chemistry 67, 499-501 (1990).

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#363864 - 03/04/11 02:35 PM
Sonny

Reged: 03/20/07

I was diagnosed with IBS-D. However I failed to see much help from traditional IBS dietary supplements and diet restrictions, plus the circumstances surrounding the beginning of the symptoms lead me to suspect Small Bowel Bacterial Overgrowth / Imbalance.

Since free iron in the gut can promote unwanted growth of certain organisms reducing the amount of free iron available can possibly help along with the right probiotics and diet changes. Bran is one way to bind up the free iron, Decaf Tea is another.

But you're right if bacterial overgrowth/imbalance is not the cause then the bran as IF would not be helpful. In small quantities though and never on an empty stomach, it may be tolerable with individuals whose IBS has become more stable.

#363877 - 03/05/11 07:57 AM
happy2b

i think the white bread has been the hardest thing for me to adjust to, -that and salads, as i still cannot handle roughage very well. i used to hang out in artisan bread isle at my Whole Foods Store, and love any type of bread with interesting grain texture, but it doesn't love my colon anymore, that's for sure. i used to have raw almonds in a salad, for lunch, but those days are over am thinking.
thanks for the info on the Bran question. my Father has Diverticulitis flare ups, and he seems to think that what is fine for him is fine for me, but I told him not necessarily so.

#363878 - 03/05/11 07:59 AM
happy2b

thanks Sonny. this is good information. much appreciated.

#363906 - 03/06/11 04:35 PM
seattleite

Reged: 01/07/10
Loc: Seattle

Does this apply to oat bran? I noticed my box of original Cheerios lists first ingredient as whole grain oats (bran included). Cheerios are given to infants so I feel like they should be safe but now Im not sure.

--------------------
IBS-D since 2008, female in her 20s

#363907 - 03/06/11 05:26 PM
Syl

Oat bran contains about 17 grams of IF and 2 grams of SF per 100 grams. In other words it is 90% IF.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#363908 - 03/06/11 07:25 PM
seattleite

Reged: 01/07/10
Loc: Seattle

So to clarify, avoid Cheerios? I get confused because the fiber content on the box says 3g/serving, 1 g being soluble fiber...which i think i can usually handle but I havent been feeling well lately and I cant find a clear culprit. I eat oatmeal for breakfast everyday and do fine with that but I dont know if thats different (does oatmeal contain oat bran??).

--------------------
IBS-D since 2008, female in her 20s

#363912 - 03/07/11 03:41 AM
Syl

You could try avoiding Cheerios and see if it makes a difference. Oatmeal does not contain the bran. Unlike Cheerios which has more insoluble than soluble fiber oatmeal has equal amounts of both. I eat oatmeal every morning

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 8824 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3127

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review