All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
peanut butter
      #363745 - 02/28/11 10:29 AM
CellSalts_Work

Reged: 08/15/10

it will always be high in fat, but is it better than ground nuts in terms of IF?

anything else to look out for concerning peanut butter?

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,
(pseudo-)D and bloating April 2007-December 2010, now stable

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: peanut butter new
      #363747 - 02/28/11 10:49 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I can handle peanut butter while I cannot handle any ground nuts Of course with its high fat content I use it sparingly.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#363752 - 02/28/11 01:10 PM
CellSalts_Work

I may just be the same. I don't understand the scientific background however, whenever I did try to eat ground almonds, tried to put a small amount in only and I think I still had problems.

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,

#363755 - 02/28/11 01:46 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Nuts are very fibrous. They are mostly IF. I find that no matter how fine nuts are ground nor how much SF I eat it with it I get GI spasms. OTOH - peanuts are a legume they are about 2.5 times as much IF compared to SF while almonds for example have about 5 times as much IF. Peanuts are less IF dense than nuts. Mechanically grinding them seems make them tolerable in small amounts with a good SF base.

Say - there is a novel theory of IBS and food intolerances beginning to emerging in the research literature. It looks that looks like it might explain some these strange things. Also, it has the potential to explain gut-brain dysfunctions as well as explain common GI and systemic IBS and food intolerance symptoms.

The theory is based on the notion of bacterial metabolic 'toxins'. When bacteria in the colon ferments undigestible foods they produce gases and byproducts. Some of the byproducts are beneficial while others may not be so good. For example, some byproduct are capable of changing the growth patterns of other bacteria changing the composition of the flora and the way cells throughout the body communicate with each other. Byproducts of the later kind are considered to be bacterial metabolic 'toxins' because of their negative effects. It will be a considerable amount of time before we know what it all means. It is going to be interesting to watch. The reference is below.

Reference
Campbell, A. K. et al. Bacterial metabolic 'toxins': A new mechanism for lactose and food intolerance, and irritable bowel syndrome. . Toxicology 278, 268-276

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#363778 - 03/01/11 03:42 AM
CellSalts_Work

hmmm... thanks!

I do go for nut oil. no IF there. I have never really eaten peanut butter as it's either too sweet/ too salty, just generally too rich for my taste buds.

almonds are so good for you...
what I was wondering, nuts but esp cinnamon, black pepper and all those spices that are now being touted as fantastic for one's health and immune system and metabolism, again, since they are mostly IF, do these beneficial components reach us or is it similar to the goodness of 'wholewheat bread has much more nutrients than white bread' when it of course is not digestible ie is no help even for a healthy person from a nutritional point of view.?

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,

#363787 - 03/01/11 07:51 AM
shelgirl

Reged: 09/22/09
Loc: Wisconsin

I can't tolerate the high fat content of peanut butter. I'm not sure if anyone has problems, but I have found a product called Better 'N Peanut Butter that I use and really like. Better N Peanut Butter

--------------------
IBS-D. Eating gluten and dairy free.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2803 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2310

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review