All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Is SIBO test worth it?
      #363724 - 02/27/11 05:00 PM
seattleite

Reged: 01/07/10
Loc: Seattle

I've been contemplating asking my GI doc to do a sibo test. I haven't followed up with her in 1 year because i was actually doing pretty well until this last month or two. I don't think I've changed anything in my diet (I keep a food journal) and its starting to make me feel a little depressed having this stomach pain and not being able to go out to dinner with my boyfriend or family. Im just wondering why Im starting to feel crappy again (no pun intended).

--------------------
IBS-D since 2008, female in her 20s

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Is SIBO test worth it? new
      #363743 - 02/28/11 08:21 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Lactulose which has been primarily used in the breath test used to diagnose SIBO has been shown to exhibit many false positives. And the latest clinical trials of the non-absorbable antibiotic used to treat SIBO which has now been tested on a significant number of IBS-D patients has shown to be marginally effective. You can read more about the trial in this post. Recently it was announced that the FDA did not think the non-absorbable antibiotic (Xifaxan) is not ready for approval for use with IBS-D. We are waiting to hear more from the FDA shortly.

Using the gold standard jejunal aspiration test it is estimated that only about 4% of IBS suffers have SIBO.

By all means talk to your GI doc about the test but don't get too optimistic for a positive outcome.

Also, you might check the clinically tested FODMAP approach linked to in my signature to complement the EFI diet. Many people on the board have had good success by blending it with the EFI diet.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3539 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 990

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review