All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Out of Probiotic - Help Please
      #363438 - 02/12/11 01:18 PM
DianeM

Reged: 12/05/06
Loc: Kentucky

For the past several years I have been taking Flora Q. I'm about to run out and my pharmacy, where I normally get it, told me it was out of stock. I'm about to go on a business trip, and without Flora Q, which really helps a lot of my problems, I'm really worried about what is going to happen. Is there a probiotic out there that is very similar to this one? Thanks in advance. Diane

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Out of Probiotic - Help Please new
      #363443 - 02/12/11 03:03 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Try any generic probiotic that contains a blend of lactobacillus acidophilus and bifidobacterium and see how it works. Some bifidobacterium species are believed to be beneficial for IBS.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Out of Probiotic - Help Please new
      #363445 - 02/13/11 08:03 AM
danmurph321

Reged: 01/18/11

Finding generic probiotics with the same ingredients can be pretty difficult at most pharmacies. And since a lot of the name brands have their own blends you most likely wouldn't be taking the same thing as Flora-Q. And switching to a different probiotic would take some time to kick in (assuming this is going to be a short business trip).

If you haven't left yet see if your pharmacy or any others in the area will special order the Flora-Q for you. And if you are leaving tomorrow or have already left you should look up pharmacies in the area of your trip and call them up to ask if they have the product or will order it. At many stores its a next day shipment of products from a wholesaler unless the product is on backorder.

I work at a pharmacy and it is really very little trouble for most stores to special order a product for a customer, most customers just don't think to ask and some pharmacy employees don't offer up the service. Good luck!

Unfortunately - Flora-Q has been discontinued -nt- new
      #363449 - 02/13/11 09:21 AM
Syl

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

Re: Unfortunately - Flora-Q has been discontinued -nt- new
      #363467 - 02/14/11 01:08 PM
DianeM

Thank you both. I leave in the morning. Thanks for the suggestion to call pharmacies at the location of my business trip. Unfortunately, I called several in the area and was told it was unavailable at every one of them. If it has been discontinued, not one of the pharmacies seems to know this. Guess I'll be taking Rifaximin with me, although that gives me other problems. But I've been doing everything right lately and still having problems, so maybe it won't be much different. Now I'm just blowing off steam - thanks for listening.

Day 6 without Flora Q new
      #363510 - 02/19/11 03:31 PM
DianeM

This is my sixth day without taking Flora Q and I've seen absolutely no change. I thought I would have major problems, as I've been taking this probiotic for several years. I was convinced it was helping me, as I started taking Flora Q and Trazodone at the same time several years ago and my symptoms improved greatly. Must be the Trazodone that helped me.

I ordered a generic probiotic, but haven't started taking it yet, as now I don't know whether I need to. I don't think Flora Q would have stayed in my system this long, would it?

Re: Day 6 without Flora Q new
      #363513 - 02/20/11 03:51 AM
Syl

Very few probiotics have been shown to have beneficial effects for IBS in clinical trials. It wouldn't be surprising to hear that Flora-Q has not been helpful. It has not been clinically proven to be effective for managing IBS. It is quite possible that the bacteria in it are not particularly effective for managing IBS. On the other hand Trazodone has been shown to be effective for managing IBS symptoms in some individuals.

--------------------

#363517 - 02/20/11 07:39 AM
DianeM

Thanks Syl. Looks like I will now be saving $40 a month.

#363615 - 02/23/11 06:03 PM
danmurph321

Reged: 01/18/11

Sorry to hear the Flora Q was discontinued but it sounds like it hasn't given you too much trouble.

The only name brand probiotics I have tried are Florastor and Align. I was on Florastor for a bit before being diagnosed with IBS but switched to Align when my GI advised me to try it. I can't say if it really provides much help since I have been on Align since I was first diagnosed with IBS and haven't tried going off it.

I keep using it since I get it pretty cheap and I like to hope it is doing a little something.

#363689 - 02/25/11 08:33 PM
DianeM

Well, I've been extremely bloated and somewhat C the last several days and I have no idea what is causing it. This is very rare for me. I don't know if it's the lack of probiotics catching up with me or something else, but I'm not going to change anything,or start taking another probiotic, so I can see if I can get back to normal (or what I consider normal). I'll let you know. Thanks everyone for responding.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4537 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5315

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review