All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Lactose Malabsorption Testing
      #363109 - 01/24/11 04:35 PM
IBSHelpWanted

Reged: 03/15/10

I recently underwent testing for lactose "malabsorption" with a hydrogen breath test. The test results came back good and were negative for lactose malabsorption. The test lasted two hours with me ingesting lactose and then blowing into a bag frequently.

I believe I have IBS-C and it seems like my digestion may be slowed. If that is the case, is there a possibility that that may skew the test results? I felt good throughout the testing but experienced bloating, gas, nausea, stomach ache, and some stomach gurgling beginning 4-1/2 hours after I drank the lactose substance. Since I did not have much sleep or food the day before the test, it could be related to that rather than the lactose.

My main question is: could a potentially slowed digestion have any affects on the results of these tests? I am also having a fructose malabsorption test in a couple weeks and would love to hear some input on this matter.

If I did not test positive for lactose malabsorption, and still have trouble with milk, IBS is on a short list of my possiblities.

Thanks a lot

--------------------
----------------------------------------------
Likely IBS-C and Fructose Malabsorption
Undiagnosed and going through testing process

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Lactose Malabsorption Testing new
      #363114 - 01/25/11 04:02 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Read the section on "Milk and IBS" in the third article in my signature. It isn't just lactose in milk that can be a problem for IBSers.

Slow digestion will not likely effect the results. If you have lactose or fructose intolerance it means you cannot digest these sugars and they pass through the small intestine where they are normally absorbed to the colon where they are fermented releasing hydrogen and other gases. The reason you blow in the bag is to see if the sugar has reached the colon where it is fermented producing hydrogen gas instead of being absorbed in the intestine.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#363117 - 01/25/11 10:10 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Your gut can still have a problem with dairy without having a positive lactose test. IMO there is no reason to subject yourself to eating dairy and therefore no reason to pay for the test. The first thing out of every GI doc's mouth is stop eating dairy, it is difficult to digest.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#363130 - 01/25/11 03:11 PM
IBSHelpWanted

Quote:

Read the section on "Milk and IBS" in the third article in my signature. It isn't just lactose in milk that can be a problem for IBSers.

Slow digestion will not likely effect the results. If you have lactose or fructose intolerance it means you cannot digest these sugars and they pass through the small intestine where they are normally absorbed to the colon where they are fermented releasing hydrogen and other gases. The reason you blow in the bag is to see if the sugar has reached the colon where it is fermented producing hydrogen gas instead of being absorbed in the intestine.

Thanks a lot. Reading over the article now. The best advice I have been getting, even after seeing 5 doctors already, continues to be this board. I did just get some testing done at the UofM and they were the first place to even mention anything about FODMAPS or anything else that seems to be helping tremendously. This board certainly is a great collection of advice.

I have one additional question that I don't believe I've had a concrete answer on. It seems as if I need more calories now than I did before. Is it possible, if I have some type of malabsorption, that the calories are not getting absorbed into my body? So, instead of needing, say 2,000 calories to maintain my weight, I would need maybe 2,500 calories if I made no changes to my diet. I have tracked calories for quite some time and something seems to be up.

--------------------

#363132 - 01/25/11 03:19 PM
IBSHelpWanted

Quote:

Your gut can still have a problem with dairy without having a positive lactose test. IMO there is no reason to subject yourself to eating dairy and therefore no reason to pay for the test. The first thing out of every GI doc's mouth is stop eating dairy, it is difficult to digest.

Yeah, some of these tests may not have much significance. With my deductible met, and pretty good insurance, I'm more than willing to get in the testing and rule out possible alternatives. Each test seems to give me some insight.

I still can't believe dairy became a problem. It was my main food group before this past year. Probably 30% of my calories were dairy related.

--------------------

#363137 - 01/25/11 05:26 PM
Little Minnie

Mine used to be too. As a kid, I ate huge amounts of dairy and would brag about how much I loved dairy. Both my parents grew up on dairy farms. Side point is when I get a farm I am raising milk goats that I won't even be able to have myself.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#363138 - 01/25/11 05:27 PM
Little Minnie

I wish! I have gained weight in the last couple years. I am sure I am using all my cals.

--------------------

#363140 - 01/25/11 06:22 PM
IBSHelpWanted

Quote:

I wish! I have gained weight in the last couple years. I am sure I am using all my cals.

Hmm...I'm on the opposite spectrum and really trying to pack on the weight. Over the course of the last 15 months, I gained 30 pounds to get to an all-time high of 190. Over the last 9 months or so, I have lost back 40 pounds of that....without trying. I have finally been able to put back on 6 pounds but it seems like something was off when looking at my calorie numbers. At least I'm finally able to start gaining some weight again

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5690 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3356

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review