Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Full of Questions!
      #363022 - 01/19/11 05:26 PM
Ericamaryjean

Reged: 01/19/11
Loc: Canada, New Brunswick

Hello!
This is the first time ive ever posted anything, I dont know were to start really. Ive had IBS for 3 years and it seemed to always be constipation and severe abdominal pain, and bloating, In the past month it has changed to diarrhea and lots of it.Im only having pain when having an attack and the pain isnt as bad as before. However im having alot more gas aswell. Im almost always bloated. The change happend when I was trying to eat "healthy" and I was eating mostly fruit smoothies thinking I was doing good for my body. My GI doctor also suggested to stop all dairy. This was extremly hard for me as I drank a litter of milk per day (problably why I was constipated) After about a month and loss of 20pounds I started taking Benefiber and Tu Zen they have helped and work extremly well. Im also following the brat diet as it seems I cant tollerate anything now. I am currently seeing a dietitian who says im still a normal weight but should gain 7 more pounds to be a " perfect" weight. Im 5'4 and 116 lbs. Im currently waiting to hear back from the dietitian with a meal plan to help me gain the weight back and eat healthy(i cant live off of the brat diet forever) It seems im only having 1-2 bm's per day in the morning, which is great im happy with that. However they are still loose.
Does anyone have any suggestion to help make them a little more solid? Has anyone tryed seeing a Naturopathic doctor? Does this help? What can they do for you? Will I ever go back to being constipated? How long till I can eat trigger foods again? (I miss bacon!!) I know there is some talk about birthcontrol does it make it worst or not? Im taking EVRA its the birthcontrol patch. IS anyone else taking it? Should I stop taking it?

Thanks for taking the time to read !

--------------------
IBS-D

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Full of Questions! new
      #363027 - 01/20/11 02:19 AM
CellSalts_Work

Reged: 08/15/10

how much benefiber are you taking?

if you have a problem with fructose, I don't think the applesauce is good at all..

bacon is supposed to be avoided wholly on the EFI diet I'm afraid. you can't really have trigger foods.

instead of milk, maybe try soy milk?

contraception-wise, I am on ovranette, started quite recently and I don't think it affected my IBS much.

in order to gain weight, eat a bit more at each meal?

I'd also be interested to hear whether loose BMs are a problem/ how to remedy that, whereas I have 1-2 BMs per day now, they can be quite loose/not well-formed for me too.

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,
(pseudo-)D and bloating April 2007-December 2010, now stable

#363028 - 01/20/11 06:31 AM
Ericamaryjean

Im using the Benefiber to go packets one in the morning one at night.

Fructose is an issue for me but i thought the apple sauce might be okay because of the pectin in it? im not really sure where to go with that.

I know bacon is a big no no its just one of my favorite foods, I really miss it

Ive tried soy milk and its okay have you ever tried almond milk?

Ive been on contraceptions longer than not. I just dont know if its a factor or not. when im having my "time of the month" my bloating actually gets better?

As far as loose Bm's go I was under the impression that if its loose your not getting all the nutrients from your meals and when your choices of food are limited you run the risk of malnutrition. But i dont know either. If its okay thats one less worry. Im also taking a multivitamin because im afraid of malnutrition.

--------------------
IBS-D

#363030 - 01/20/11 06:41 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

The pectin in apples don't affect the way one reacts to fructose. The only determining factor is the amount of excess fructose (i.e. how much more fructose than glucose) a food contains. Apples contain about 3 grams of excess fructose per 100 grams.

Loose stools are not automatically suggestive of a risk of malnutrition. Watery stools passed many times a day would be a concern.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#363031 - 01/20/11 09:05 AM
gizmo

Reged: 07/28/10

Hi and welcome to the board!

You may want to try turkey bacon. Some of us are able to eat that without any problems. I would just be careful on how much of it you eat. I would eat it in moderation. I haven't had any trouble with it personally. Good luck to you!

#363035 - 01/20/11 12:32 PM
seattleite

Reged: 01/07/10
Loc: Seattle

To answer some of your questions: I love almond milk, and use it in my cereal and substitute it for cows milk when a recipe calls for it. I also like to cook with light coconut milk instead of heavy cream in recipes. I eat turkey bacon on occasion (only 1-2 slices at a time) and i prefer the uncured kind (usually a little more expensive than cured but they dont have any added nitrates or is it nitrites in them) and i do fine.
Ive seen an ND, i felt like she actually was listening to me compared to my MD PCP and offered some helpful advice (most of it i already knew from reading Heather's book). She also did more tests than my PCP (well he did nothing other than check my blood for celiac disease) but they were all stool and blood tests, no scans. If you need scans/endoscopy you need to see a GI MD.
Im on the pill and i dont know if it affects my IBS b/c i've been on it since 2004.
I also use Heathers Acacia fiber which i love helps form stools.

--------------------
IBS-D since 2008, female in her 20s

#363062 - 01/22/11 07:05 AM
Ericamaryjean

Ive tried the turkey bacon and it gave me heart burn and alot of burping. Thanks for the suggestion it was worth the try! Im not sure why I had that reaction I find turkey to be one of my safest foods

--------------------
IBS-D

#363063 - 01/22/11 07:14 AM
Ericamaryjean

Is there an amount of excess fructose one can handle? How do you know the fructose glucose ratio of certain foods? Ive read some labels off of ceral bars and thats all they say fructose/glucose but not any amounts

Thanks Ive been worried about the loose stools its really put my mind at rest. I need to gain weight and I thought I never would with loose stools

--------------------
IBS-D

#363064 - 01/22/11 07:59 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

In Canada if a product says glucose-fructose on the label it means the food contains high fructose corn syrup (HFCS). HFCS contains about 30 grams glucose and 42 grams fructose per 100 grams for an excess fructose content of about 12 grams per 100 grams. Foods with HFCS should be avoided.

The table at the bottom of this web page has some reasonably reliable values for the amount of glucose and fructose various foods contain. The USDA Food Database gives the amount of fructose and glucose in some foods. For example, if you enter apples select "Apples, raw, without skin" . Next choose 100 grams and look at the table. It says it contains 3.25 grams of fructose and 6.03 grams fructose for approximately 3 excess grams of fructose per 100 grams. If you do the same thing for honey you see if contains 35.75 grams glucose and 40.94 grams fructose for an excess fructose of about 5 grams per 100 grams. Note that the amount of fructose in fruits, etc will vary from variety to variety and when the fruit is picked. The values given in the table are averages.

The articles in my signature give rough guidelines as to which foods tend to have excess fructose.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2231 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3185

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review