All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Help with sample meal plan
      #363010 - 01/19/11 11:24 AM
IBSHelpWanted

Reged: 03/15/10

First, I want to say that I've made terrific progress so far with the help on this board. Although I have not been diagnosed yet, I'm still quite certain I have IBS-C and Fructose malabsorption. What I have seen, is that as I stick to the plan for a few weeks, foods that bothered me only somewhat seem to not bother me at all anymore.

I originally cut out almost all fruits and veggies, and am trying hard to get them back in by combining them with soluble fiber foods. I'm still struggling, though, and am having a tough time getting enough different varieties into the diet. If anyone has comments on additional fruits/veggies, I would love to hear it. I love eating them

Here's a sample plan. Keep in mind that I likely have IBS-C and am a fructose malabsorber. Additionally, I am trying to manage these symptoms while also putting on a lot of weight. If I can feel like a 7/10 on a given day, but also pack on a pound+ a week, then that is a little more preferable than feeling like an 8/10 and maintaining.

SAMPLE DIET:

Breakfast:
Fingerling potatoes, pan fried in EVOO, with chopped up red pepper, and mini bella mushrooms (275 cal)
Egg white tortilla, microwaved egg whites, flour tortilla (225 cal)
Oatmeal, quick oats made with vanilla rice milk, small amount of blueberries and raspberries (300 cal)
Water
TOTALS: 800 calories

Snack1:
Silk chocolate soy milk, 14oz (245 cal)

Meal2:
Chicken Quesadilla, no cheese - flour tortillas, cilantro, bella mushrooms and red pepper sauteed with spices, organic chicken (600)
Cilantro lime rice, jasmati or basmati or some white rice, cilantro, juice and zest from lime (300)
Water
TOTALS: 900 calories

Meal3:
Guacamole - avocado, lime juice, cilantro, cumin, salt, cayenne pepper, garlic powder (350)
Chips, Baked tostitos scoops (300)
Vanilla Rice Milk, 14 oz (245)
TOTALS: 895 calories

Meal 4:
Mahi Mahi, pan fried in EVOO, spices (300)
Cilantro Lime rice (300)
Boiled Carrots (60)
French Baguette, toasted (150)
Water
TOTALS: 810 calories

Snack:
Oatmeal with small amount blueberries, raspberries, maybe some strawberries (300)

TOTALS:
Calories: 3,950

I'm very active, both running, weight lifting, cross country skiing, etc, and the above calorie number is what is needed to pack on 1.5 pounds per week. I seem to need more calories than normal at times when I eat "bad" food (I'm not sure if malabsorption may cause this). There is a slight buffer on the number of calories needed.

--------------------
----------------------------------------------
Likely IBS-C and Fructose Malabsorption
Undiagnosed and going through testing process

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Help with sample meal plan new
      #363011 - 01/19/11 12:39 PM
CellSalts_Work

Reged: 08/15/10

I think Syl or others will give more detailed and authoritative feedback, but avocadoes are not recommended on the FODMAP diet, and blueberries and strawberries are high in IF so I'd be careful with those.

what I have far more experience with is how to lose weight. I recommend eating plenty of small meals throughout the day as frequently as you possibly can and as small portions as possible, key is being careful never ever to overeat/binge.

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,
(pseudo-)D and bloating April 2007-December 2010, now stable

#363012 - 01/19/11 01:07 PM
IBSHelpWanted

Quote:

I think Syl or others will give more detailed and authoritative feedback, but avocadoes are not recommended on the FODMAP diet, and blueberries and strawberries are high in IF so I'd be careful with those.

what I have far more experience with is how to lose weight. I recommend eating plenty of small meals throughout the day as frequently as you possibly can and as small portions as possible, key is being careful never ever to overeat/binge.

I seem to be pretty limited with fruits/veggies since I may also be a fructose malabsorber. The blueberries/strawberries are definitely high in IF, so I tried to combine them with a SF base that I seem to do okay with, oatmeal. Oatmeal isn't the best SF base out there, but is there any better one to combine fruits with? I would love to hear how other people get fruits/veggies into their diet. I love to eat them, and struggle with this. Especially since either the IBS or the fructose issues seem to rule out all of them.

I didn't know avocadoes were a problem on the FODMAP approach. Do you know the reason (i.e. fructose, etc)? Avocadoes aren't perfect for me, but aren't that bad at all while I'm eating them. Since I'm IBS-C, it might be affecting me hours, or even days, down the road and gets difficult to pinpoint.

I have an extremely detailed food log for the past month, broken down with all symptoms and foods eaten, stress levels, etc in half hour segments. But since I'm still relatively new to this, there is so much information to absorb and so many variables in my diet that it's tough to pinpoint everything yet.

I lost about 40 pounds in the past year, while I was trying to GAIN weight. I definitely need to put some of that weight back on

--------------------

#363013 - 01/19/11 02:28 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Check the links in my signature for a description of how fructose malabsorption fits into the FODMAP approach. Keep in mind that unlike the EFI diet the FODMAP approach does not address issues of known GI stimulants such as alchol, caffeine, insoluble fiber, etc that the EFI diet does address well.

I eat relatively few veggies and those that I do eat must be peeled and cooked until soft. Also, I find that the IF in berries is a problem so I make pulp free berry juice from frozen berries. I use it instead of fruit on oatmeal, etc and in drinks and sauces. It is loaded with vitamins and antioxidants

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#363015 - 01/19/11 03:09 PM
IBSHelpWanted

Quote:

Check the links in my signature for a description of how fructose malabsorption fits into the FODMAP approach. Keep in mind that unlike the EFI diet the FODMAP approach does not address issues of known GI stimulants such as alchol, caffeine, insoluble fiber, etc that the EFI diet does address well.

I eat relatively few veggies and those that I do eat must be peeled and cooked until soft. Also, I find that the IF in berries is a problem so I make pulp free berry juice from frozen berries. I use it instead of fruit on oatmeal, etc and in drinks and sauces. It is loaded with vitamins and antioxidants

Pulp free berry juice sounds interesting. Just blend up some frozen berries?

Also, do you (or anyone else) have any other recommendations on veggies/fruits? Here is what I am eating (always after eating soluble fiber):

Fruits:
Avocado
Blueberries (small qty)
Raspberries (small qty)
Strawberries (very small qty)
Ruby Red Grapefruit
Bananas (used to be best option a year ago, then bad, now decent again)

Vegetables:
Red Pepper
Mushrooms
Carrots (boiled)

That's really about it, I think. I even created a list of almost all of the vegetables/fruits out there and then started going through one by one for which ones are problems with fructose malabsorption, IBS, and some other food intolerances. Even one or two additional fruit or veggie options would be amazing!

Also, any other comments on the food list, syl? I need a lot of fiber with the large quantity of food.

--------------------

#363025 - 01/20/11 02:04 AM
CellSalts_Work

I do eat broccoli, cauliflower, green beans and occasionally other beans, all with Beano beforehand and all thoroughly overcooked. I eat spinach as well, the frozen type made with white flour and olive oil, takes about 5 mins to make.

Eat tomato puree as well (tomato paste) for sauces, full of antioxidants too and is fibre although not enough for a base.

Otherwise potatoes/ sweet potatoes/ swedes/ turnips, these are all starchy vegetables, but high in SF, so can serve as a base, especially their cooled varieties.

and fruit-wise, maybe oranges and kiwis? although the goodness of the former can be obtained through orange juice which is just safer as no IF.

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,

#363026 - 01/20/11 02:10 AM
CellSalts_Work

oh you are trying to PUT ON weight? sorry. how about eating a bit more at every meal? just one more potato or a bit more oatmeal etc

Oatmeal is wonderful, it should be properly cooked/microwaved, the more sticky/mushy it is, the safer it is, also good if it's cooled. It's extremely healthy, has a low glycemic index and is filling unlike the empty-calories-starchy-foods (like potatoes, rice, white bread and pasta) to which we otherwise have to resort due to IBS.

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,

#363040 - 01/20/11 03:55 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I mash thawed frozen mixed berries with a potato masher and then strain the mash through a jelly bag. Also, I add water to the mash and strain it again but I keep juice seperate from the first batch. I use it for adding to drinking water for flavor. The first batch of juice is very concentrated. I usually use 2-3 tablespoons at a time.

Peeled boiled or lightly fried zucchini is nice too. I eat small amounts of well cooked yam and acorn squash from time to time.

I tend to stick with pulp free orange and grapefruit juice too. I find the IF in oranges and grapefruit problematic.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 496 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4160

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review