All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
What probiotics have you taken?
      #362892 - 01/13/11 01:05 PM
seattleite

Reged: 01/07/10
Loc: Seattle

I just wanted to take a poll since Im looking for a new probiotic to take.

Digestive Advantage- took for 5 days. Day 1 excessive, smelly gas. Days 2-5 very bad stomach pains lasting almost all day no matter what I ate or how much peppermint tea i drank. Thus i stopped and the intense belly pain went away.

HLC Intensive by Pharmax- took for 3 months per ND. Pretty good (its no cure but i think it did help), however, it's a bit pricey ($36/30 caps) and its hard to find.

--------------------
IBS-D since 2008, female in her 20s

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What probiotics have you taken? new
      #362894 - 01/13/11 01:17 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Only a few probiotics have been shown to be effective for managing IBS symptoms. Two probiotics that have been clinically tested that you might consider are Align and VSL#3. I have use Natren's Life Start which contains the same probiotic found in Align (Bifidobacterium infantis) but it comes in a bottle and it has to be kept in the fridge.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#362896 - 01/13/11 03:08 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

I tried Digestive Advantage and it worked for awhile as did Phillip's Colon Health. But, only for awhile, and I seemed to be right back to square one. I tried Align for a long period of time, with no results whatsoever. Not to mention it is very expensive.

I finally stopped taking any at all, and am doing better now, than when I was loading up on supplements.

#362899 - 01/13/11 04:19 PM
shelgirl

Reged: 09/22/09
Loc: Wisconsin

I have taken many different ones...most recently Nature's Sunshine Probiotic Eleven, which gave me terrible problems...thanks to Syl on this board who pointed out that it had inulin (FOS) in it. (By the way, I noticed that several brands use that in their probiotics.) Since then I tried Digestive Advantage for a week which didn't seem to do anything. I also tried Enzymatic Therapy Pearls, which actually seemed to work slightly. I did not try Align because it contains artificial colors, sugar, and is very expensive. Alot of the probiotics also contain milk, soy or whey which can also be triggers for some. I have yet to find anything that really worked for me.

--------------------
IBS-D. Eating gluten and dairy free.

#362907 - 01/14/11 10:22 AM
seattleite

I went to my go-to "holistic" pharmacy to pick up a new brand. I was debating between Jarro Allergen Free 10 billion and HLC High Potency 8 billion (a step down from my usual HLC Intensive 24 billion) and the employee told me to go with HLC b/c its the most popular/recommended. I get home and notice theres 300mg FOS in it. Do you think that amount is significant enough to cause a lot of gas? I don't know if i have a problem with FOS since Im not too familiar with what foods contain this.

--------------------

#362908 - 01/14/11 11:09 AM
shelgirl

Reged: 09/22/09
Loc: Wisconsin

If you check out Heather's comments on the fiber supplements, she mentions avoiding psyllium and inulin for IBSers due to excess gas, bloating etc... But, everyone is different so it's up to you. I had trouble with both.

--------------------
IBS-D. Eating gluten and dairy free.

#362909 - 01/14/11 11:14 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I tried some stevia with less than 300mg FOS and it gave me lots of problems. Perhaps the only way you can find out is to try it. FOS is a rapidly fermenting soluble fiber that can produce gas quickly.

You might take them back and ask for HLC Intensive caps which you use to take which have a different probiotic make up but doesn't contain FOS.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#362911 - 01/14/11 11:30 AM
lelac36

Reged: 09/29/10
Loc: Boston, MA

I started Culturelle about 2 weeks ago. I had hesitated to use b/c they have traces of dairy but my GI doc said not to worry. I can't tell if they are helping b/c I also started Heather's Acacia Tummy Fiber around that time, Hypnotherapy, and started trying to learn about FODMAP and cut down on wheat load, etc. Lot's of New Year strategizing! I bought Brenda Watson's Renew Life brand Probiotic, Ultimate Flora Critical Colon 80 billion, after an interest in her public broadcasting special Road To Perfect Heatlh. These were supposed to have no dairy but they apparently sent the wrong ones. I have not decided if i will return and try again or just use them. has anyone else tried the Renew Life or seen Brenda Watson?

--------------------
IBS-D, Post-Infectious since 8/2010

#362920 - 01/14/11 01:05 PM
seattleite

I saw Renew Life had probiotics too but I have not tried them. I've tried their IntestiNew product since I've heard good things about it and I think it helped some (I never seemed to have any big problems the 30 days i took it for). However, i didn't rebuy it b/c its $40 that lasts only 30 days and i didn't really like the taste (its a bit chunky b/c it doesnt dissolve well, a bit flakey, a bit shrimpy tasting?).

--------------------

#362973 - 01/16/11 08:12 PM
seattleite

*correction: 100mg FOS/cap in HLC high potency with 8 billion bact.

I went back to the pharmacy to exchange it and decided to talk to the sales woman (apparently shes an ND according to her nametag). I asked her opinion on FOS and if it would irritate my sensitive belly i.e cause gas etc. She assured me she hasn't had anyone complain about this probiotic and that the quality of it is much better than any others they had (pearls, renew life, jarro, culturelle) and that FOS feeds the healthy bacteria so that they actually stay alive or you get the most benefit, something of that sort I cant remember her wording exactly. Luckily i can try it and return it if i dont like it so Im giving it a go. Im on day 2 and feeling fine so hopefully its a winner.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5001 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3858

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review