All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Tummy fiber still not helping
      #362793 - 01/05/11 04:57 PM
Lreser

Reged: 12/16/10
Loc: Ohio

I've been taking the fiber for over 2 weeks for my IBS-D and still don't feel better. I'm definitely more gassy than before and the D isn't better either. I actually went back to taking Benefiber which does cause less gas for me. It seems whenever I try something with probiotics or prebiotics, I end up feeling worse. I lowered my dose to only 1/2 tsp. per day hoping that would help but it hasn't so far. Do you think maybe the fiber just won't work for me? I feel so discouraged as I was hoping this would finally be an answer and help for me.

--------------------
Lisa

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Tummy fiber still not helping new
      #362796 - 01/06/11 04:27 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Are you following the EFI diet as well as taking a fiber supplement?

It would be helpful if you would post the meals and snacks you have eaten over the past 2-3 days too.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#362798 - 01/06/11 05:22 AM
Followmyheart

Reged: 12/15/10
Loc: BC, Canada

Hi Lisa!

I noticed you said you started 2 weeks ago and now have lowered your dose down to 1/2 teaspoon...how much were you taking? When I started this two months ago, I built myself up to 2.5 teaspoons per day over about 3 weeks. Taking too much too soon isn't any good for you.

I honestly feel like fiber should work for particularly D's like us. It really, really helped me significantly.

Definitely follow the EFI diet listed on this site. That in conjunction with a fiber supplement as I described has completely changed my life in the past 2 months, I can hardly even believe it.

Don't give up! If after a few weeks at a lower dose you see no improvement or are still having a lot of gas pain, try a different brand. I was taking inulin in one brand and it worked. I saw another brand of inulin on sale and bought that...it nearly KILLED me with gas pain!!!!! I still can't believe it.

Don't give up! Give your body a chance to adjust, try the diet regulations and also try some stress relief techniques...you will find the answer ;D

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The doors we open and close each day decide the lives we live."~Flora Whittemore

#362802 - 01/06/11 02:05 PM
Lreser

Reged: 12/16/10
Loc: Ohio

I was taking 1/2 tsp. twice a day so I cut the dose in half. I'm following the EFI diet and definitely eating soluble fiber.

Should I increase the dose at this point? Does anyone else have problems with pre or pro-biotics? I've read that can cause gas as well at first.

I just want to feel better! And of course I want it right now.

--------------------
Lisa

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 381 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2069

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review