All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
A small amount of milk chocolate and insoluble fibre hurts?!
      #362757 - 01/03/11 09:34 AM
welshsarah

Reged: 06/30/07
Loc: England, UK

So... this morning I had white crumpets for breakfast with a bit of jam (wow, I sound really british!). Later on in the morning I started feeling ropey (sick, irritated stomach, bloated). Could this be from having two milk chocolate sweets mid-morning? I had a salad last night too (after white rice) and my stomach felt off from then onwards. I had two peeled apples and cooked parsnips for lunch and a soluble fibre-based banana muffin, then did some yoga later on and had an overwhelming feeling of sickness during it. I thought I was going to be sick!

I guess what I'm wondering is whether the chocolate and not getting the right balance of fibres can really cause the symptoms? I'm of the "little of something won't hurt" camp. Initially, when following the diet, do I need to have a more all or nothing approach? Also, my instincts are always to blame wheat rather than anything else as I used to be gluten-free but have added gluten back in as I was still having IBS problems.

I'm not sure if this is making much sense! I didn't sleep well last night so my brain's feeling like mush!

Thanks for bearing with me.

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: A small amount of milk chocolate and insoluble fibre hurts?! new
      #362761 - 01/03/11 11:20 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Can't remember if you are IBS-C or IBS-D.

Many of us, particularly thos with IBS-D, cannot handle raw veggies including salads even after a meal even if it contains lots of soluble fiber.

If you had two peeled apples and did feel well it makes me wonder if you have problems with foods with excess fructose such as apples, pears, honey, etc. Have you had a fructose malabsorption breath test? You might check the articles in my signature for an explanation of how it affects individuals with functional GI disorders such as IBS. Wheat can be a problem too but not because of gluten but because it contains another constituent, fructans, which is explained in the article too.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#362763 - 01/03/11 11:39 AM
welshsarah

Thanks for the reply Syl.

I have IBS-C.

I have wondered about the FODMAPS diet before. I've never been tested for fructose malabsorption, don't think we test for it over here. I never feel too great after having jam or marmalade so maybe that would be fructose malabsorption... What are the symptoms? Would sugar be a problem too?

With the FODMAPs diet, do people tend to have problem with all the FODMAPs or just a couple of them?

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

#362764 - 01/03/11 11:45 AM
welshsarah

Wow, i'm just reading through your linked pages now. The FODMAPs diet seems to make so much sense! I don't want to give up wheat again though... Maybe it's just a fructose and lactose problem... (my lactose intolerance was diagnosed as a child).

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

#362765 - 01/03/11 12:46 PM
Syl

Some have problems with all FODMAPs while others only have a problem with a couple of them.

I am sure that you can have a fructose malabsorption breath test in the UK. The person with the screen name "CellSalts_Work" lives in the UK and her doctor recently booked for a breath test for her. Essentially the symptoms are the same as for IBS - C/D, gas, bloating and pain. In addition at its worst I had nausea, chills and dizziness as well as sleepless nights.

Fructose in an interesting sugar and our bodies handle it in two different ways. When a food contains exactly the same amount of fructose and glucose (.e.g white/brown sugar) the body handles it one way. If there is more fructose than glucose the excess fructose may not be absorbed in the small intestine. If this is the case then you have fructose malabsorption. When the excess fructose gets to the colon is acts as fast food for the colonic bacteria and it is rapidly fermented produced gas and byproducts.

Unfortunately, the FODMAP approach doesn't address the well known issue of other GI stimulants such as caffeine, alchol, insoluble fiber, etc. I merge the EFI and FODMAP approaches for best results.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#362767 - 01/03/11 12:59 PM
CellSalts_Work

Reged: 08/15/10

I would like to point out here that unfortunately it is not easy to find somewhere in the UK where they do do fructose malabsorption tests. I have asked at two hospitals now in London and one in Cambridge, none of these do fructose malabsorption tests at all as it now turns out. London ones did do lactose and the SIBO breath test, but the fructose one, no idea where you can have that done. Unfortunately the other thing is that you need a referral from a gastroentrologist, not just a GP it seems to me, so it's all more bureaucracy. Besides as Syl has already indicated in other threads, fructose malabsorption test does not say whether you can tolerate a little fructose. may just be better/easier to experiment...

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,
(pseudo-)D and bloating April 2007-December 2010, now stable

#362771 - 01/03/11 01:22 PM
welshsarah

Hi both, thanks for your replies. I suspect fructose is a problem as I always feel rotten after apples and mangos for example (go figure).

Syl, do you avoid wheat then or just the fructose component of the FODMAPs approach? I'm starting to get a bit clueless as to where to start diet-wise in trying to manage my IBS. EFI minus the fructose stuff, FODMAPs only, etc.

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

#362775 - 01/03/11 05:00 PM
Syl

I can handle a fair amount of wheat but very little excess fructose. I try to limit wheat consumption to the equivalent of two thin slice of bread a day. Seems to work for me.

I combine the general principles about fiber and GI triggers from the EFI diet and with the FODMAP approach. Although I restrict my insoluble fiber consumption considerably more than recommended in the EFI diet. After a while you begin to understand which FODMAPs are the ones that effect you the most and you adjust your diet accordingly. It isn't a cure - It is an excellent symptom management approach.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3438 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3086

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review