All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Oats and Wheat
      #362718 - 12/31/10 03:38 AM
welshsarah

Reged: 06/30/07
Loc: England, UK

Does anyone know if Nairns Oatcakes and Oat biscuits (available in UK) are safe?

Also, malted wheat flour for bread, is that safe? (Also known as granary bread flour).

Thanks!

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Oats and Wheat new
      #362719 - 12/31/10 05:58 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Narin's oatcakes and biscuit contain wholegrain oats. The biscuits have added dietary fiber which is likely all insoluble fiber. These products are probably not particularly safe.

You can read about granary bread flour on this web page. After the grains are malted brown flour (whole wheat flour) is added. This is a whole grain cereal product which is not safe for IBS.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#362721 - 12/31/10 09:16 AM
welshsarah

Thanks Syl! That's helpful. I suspected this may be the case, which is a shame as I've stocked up on the Nairns Oats products.

I was thinking I'll use the granary flour in my bread mix but use majority white flour then 1/3 - 1/4 granary. Would that be safe? Or is it best to stick to white products until more stable?

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

#362722 - 12/31/10 11:29 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

It has long been known that bran from whole grain cereals including wheat bran can exacerbate IBS symptoms. It would definitely be wise to hold off eating whole grain foods until you are stable, it at all.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#362769 - 01/03/11 01:13 PM
CellSalts_Work

Reged: 08/15/10

But I'd like to tell you that I have been eating Nairn oatmeal cakes without trouble. There are different varieties and I've only ever tried the 'finely grained' version (there is rough oatmeal etc), and I never ate it on its own (unlike normal cooked oatmeal which I have used as a SF base too). Always ate just one single or maximum two oat cakes and with banana. I was OK. I told Syl this already, but I think oatmeal too has just as much IF in it and the resistant starch content in cooked oatmeal is apparently not particularly high unlike cooled potatoes or white rice so dry Nairn oatcakes should have the same effect theoretically.

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,
(pseudo-)D and bloating April 2007-December 2010, now stable

#362773 - 01/03/11 01:29 PM
welshsarah

Interesting. I had assumed oats were fine. Now all I need to do is to figure out a baseline diet from which to experiment from

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

#362783 - 01/04/11 04:14 AM
CellSalts_Work

Reged: 08/15/10

and those oatcakes may even be fine on their own, may be worth a try, it's merely that I have not tried them on their own yet.

also there are stages/ different problems and I for one would rather be eating certain slightly problematic foods than be completely symptom-free. for me the main thing is not to have D. there is the case of bloating and spasms which I certainly don't care as much about, but those are still IBS related symptoms, but since they are less troublesome overall I would not forgo broccoli/green beans/cauliflower which are not completely ok (but great for you healthwise)and there are also times when I eat loads of white bread (half a kilo per day sometimes.. (I adore bread)), which does occasionally cause bloating too but it's not debilitating for me and it's swings and roundabouts as far as I'm concerned.

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,
(pseudo-)D and bloating April 2007-December 2010, now stable

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 761 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7428

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review