All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Fiber frustration
      #362635 - 12/22/10 08:43 AM
shelgirl

Reged: 09/22/09
Loc: Wisconsin

I've read everything here several times about fiber and have tried a few kinds without much luck! I know everyone is different but am just curious does everyone eventually get to a point where it works? My problem is the terrible gas pains that I get all over.....I am IBS-D and I can see visibly that it works but, I can't stand the pains. I had thought for me Citrucel was working (as it seemed to give me the least gas) but, came to realize that more often than not, I was experiencing a terrible nausea in the morning that disappeared when I quit using it. So, my question is does everyone have luck with fiber and do the horrible gas pains eventually go away???

--------------------
IBS-D. Eating gluten and dairy free.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Fiber frustration new
      #362637 - 12/22/10 09:24 AM
gizmo

Reged: 07/28/10

I understand your frustration. I was taking Citrucel and I noticed excess bloating and gas. I was better off taking it than not taking it. I tried a little experiment to see if it was really worth taking and I went off it for a few days and I had trouble without it. I was taking two tablespoons twice a day. Then someone on this site recommended to me Heather's Acacia Tummy Fiber. I decided to give it a try and it is the best out there for me. It doesn't cause any bloating or excess gas. It's great. You need to start off slow and increase your doses like the instructions say until you are stable. I stabled at again two tablespoons a day. You have to be patient and give it time to work. I recommend giving that a try and see if it works for you. Good luck!!

#362638 - 12/22/10 09:28 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

How slowly are you increasing your SF consumption? Some people claim if you increase the dose slowly (e.g 1/4 teaspoon ever 3-4 days they have less problems.

Have you tried a SF containing calcium polycarbophil found in Fibercon and Equalactin. It is a synthetic SF that is not suppose to ferment and produce gas. The SF in Benefiber in the US, wheat dextrin, is suppose to produce less gas too.

I have not had much luck with SF supplements. I get all my SF from foods.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#362639 - 12/22/10 10:33 AM
shelgirl

I have not tried Heather's tummy fiber, but, I did try a powder organic acacia fiber and had major gas. I have not tried either of the ones you mentioned, Syl. I'm just leary at this point. I seem to be able to manage without it, but, did find I could expand my diet a bit when I was on it.

As far as increasing the dose, I started with very little and had the gas, should I increase it even if I am experiencing the gas? I guess I thought I should start slow and wait till the gas was tolerable (and that never happened with the ones I had used.)

I would really like to make this work with just food and not the fiber, but, when reading the posts, it seemed that most people really raved about the benefits, so I'm just not sure.

--------------------

#362641 - 12/22/10 11:55 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Try taking fiber throughout the day such as in a water bottle. It might help the nausea. Make sure you are drinking enough and getting some exercise to help with the gas pains. A heating pad helps with gas pains.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#362644 - 12/22/10 01:01 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Little Minnie's suggestion is excellent. You might also make sure you take it with a meal if you aren't already.

Perhaps you have to start at 1/4 teaspoon a couple of times a day and work up slowly from there.

It seems soluble fiber is particularly helpful for individuals with IBS-D when it works. S

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#362645 - 12/22/10 03:27 PM
shelgirl

Thanks for all your suggestions....will give it another try...now just have to decide which one to try

--------------------

#362646 - 12/22/10 03:33 PM
gizmo

Reged: 07/28/10

Good luck and let us know what you decide and how it works out for you!

#362655 - 12/23/10 09:53 AM
Followmyheart

Reged: 12/15/10
Loc: BC, Canada

Hi there,

Hope you are feeling better!

I just wanted to say, keep trying! I take inulin, which most people with IBS run for the hills from. I started with very small doses of a no-name inulin brand at the end of November. A week ago, I saw a sale on Benefiber (in Canada it is inulin)so I thought "oh it's the same thing, I'll just buy some!" WROOOOOOOONGO!

I took Benefiber for 3 days, each more painful than the last! What the heck is up with that??? It's supposed to be the same thing, same dosage, same everything...I double triple checked! After those 3 days, I stopped and went back to my no name brand...all the pains were gone again after 1 day. What the heck!

My point I guess, is don't be concerned if something doesn't work for you. For me, the same thing only a different BRAND was completely different!!!! You will find something that helps, wait and see. Don't be afraid to try different things in small doses!

I also take a 500 mg calcium supplement every day now, and wow...cannot even BELIEVE the difference!!! I feel like a new person!

Keep it up and something will work for you!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The doors we open and close each day decide the lives we live."~Flora Whittemore

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4116 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3467

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review