Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Inulin brands
      #362555 - 12/18/10 05:44 AM
Followmyheart

Reged: 12/15/10
Loc: BC, Canada

Hello everyone,

When I first started taking a supplement a month ago, I started with a 'no name' inulin, which I had no problems with at all. Then, I ran out a few days ago so I picked up some Benefiber...same thing right? WRONG!

I was up to 9 gms per day and yesterday with Benefiber I tried to do 3 and had severe gas pain and bloating all day!

Is that typical, or is there something in the processing of Benefiber that doesn't agree with me? Have you noticed sensitivity issues across brand names?

Have a wonderful day

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The doors we open and close each day decide the lives we live."~Flora Whittemore

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Inulin brands new
      #362556 - 12/18/10 07:00 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Interesting. Usually people have problems with inulin and not Benefiber. In the US Benefiber contains wheat dextrin. However, in Canada it contains inulin. Where do you live?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#362558 - 12/18/10 07:24 AM
Followmyheart

Hi Syl,

Thanks for your reply!

Actually I'm in Canada as well, so my Benefiber is inulin. That's why I'm so puzzled...they are both supposed to be the same thing! It's not a coincidence either...I've tried it for 3 days using less and less. Every time the Benefiber gives me incredible gas pain!

On my way to the store shortly to pick up some more cheap no name! Have you heard of people having sensitivities across brand names?

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The doors we open and close each day decide the lives we live."~Flora Whittemore

#362562 - 12/18/10 10:03 AM
Syl

What is the no name brand of the original inulin SF you were taking?

Inulin is the name for a group of carbohydrates. There are different kinds of inulin that come from different plants. It is possible that some inulins ferment faster than others.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#362574 - 12/18/10 03:21 PM
CellSalts_Work

Reged: 08/15/10

Isn't it true thought that whereas wheat dextrin is supposed to give you less gas than psyllium, it is still SF and SF in itself does cause distention because that's in its nature? Someone once compared SF to a sponge, IF to a broom. For us IF is more like an electric shock of course, but SF expands, doesn't it and ferments in the colon instead of moving through it unaltered?

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,
(pseudo-)D and bloating April 2007-December 2010, now stable

#362579 - 12/19/10 03:57 AM
Syl

The analogy you used sounds rather strange and parts are in error.

Psyllium is 2/3 SF and 1.3 IF. Its isn't a pure SF.

IF absorbs water, swells and expands. SF dissolves in water to make a gel; it doesn't swell.

By definition all fiber (SF, IF and functional fiber) are indigestible. We don't make the enzymes to break fiber down into constituent parts that our bodies can absorb. Up to 15%-20% of IF is partially fermented in the colon by bacteria. On the other hand some SFs are partially fermentable while others are completely fermented. And some SFs ferment rapidly and others slowly.

Distention is cause by bloating which can be a result of gas from fermentation.

--------------------

EXACT brand vs Benefiber new
      #362580 - 12/19/10 04:15 AM
Followmyheart

Hooray! I took my exact brand from Superstore yesterday and feel good as new again.

No Benefiber for me!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

#362584 - 12/19/10 07:37 AM
CellSalts_Work

Wow, thanks for clearing all that up, so in effect psyllium is not a SF supplement all in all. Explains a lot actually.

It wasn't my analogy as I said, to be honest we talked about white rice before how a lot of people say that it is bloating for them, either healthy or IBS people. Some site said that SF will make gas whatever (I know you cautioned about relying on just any website.. so sorry if that is not true). Pre-IBS I used to eat a lot of wholewheat bread, for about a year. It got rid of the bloating, something that I'd had a lot beforehand. (this is still when I had no IBS) IF never ever made me bloated which is why I find Beano's recommendation that you take Beano with wholegrains a bit puzzling. When I used to eat wholegrains, they did feel like they were sweeping my bowels, and I never had gas when I ate grains high in IF.

So the fermentation's speed is what determines whether you have a lot of gas or not, ie rapid fermentation causes a lot of gas, slow does not, right?

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,

#362585 - 12/19/10 07:40 AM
CellSalts_Work

http://www.wjgnet.com/1007-9327/13/4161.pdf

here is says that all SF except for hemicellulose result in rapid fermentation, ie cause a lot of gas...? so SF does overall cause gas, as is the normal way of things?

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,

#362587 - 12/19/10 08:36 AM
Syl

I believe what is implied in the table is that pectins, guar, ispaghula ferment more rapidly compared to hemicellulose.

When the fermentation rates of the first three SF are compared a great deal of variability in the fermentation rate is found. For example, here is a table that compares the percent fermentation of three SF with time in hours.

Time Psyllium Gum Arabic Pectin
3 52.7 6.7 72.3
6 67.8 6.7 86.2
9 71.4 41.6 93.3
12 77.3 50.5 95.3
18 81.8 91.7 94.7
24 83.4 96.0 95.7
36 86.1 96.8 96.5
48 86.9 97.1 96.8
72 89.5 98.8 97.3

As you can see Psyllium and Pectin are fermented much quicker than Guar. (Apologies for the table format - it is difficult to do in this message board)

--------------------

#362588 - 12/19/10 08:40 AM
Syl

Fermentation rate determines how fast gas is produced not how much is produce.

A SF may ferment slowly for many hours and produce the same total amount of gas produced by an SF that ferments more quickly.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 552 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5773

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review