Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Newbie questions about calcium, also mixed grain breads
      #362485 - 12/13/10 07:17 PM
VioletteCrumble

Reged: 12/11/10
Loc: Austin, TX

Hello,
I have been a long-time IBS sufferer (alternating D&C) and, being at my wits end, am ready to try to commit to this diet. Here are my questions that I have not found the answers to from searching on the site:

I am breastfeeding and worried about getting enough calcium. Calcium pills that I was taking already gave me insane constipation. Do most of you (particularly women) take the type of supplements Heather recommends, and do they constipate you?

Also, I bake my family's bread using a mixture of white bread flour and mixed grains including wheat and rye. Does this type of mixed grain bread suffice for eating soluble fiber with insoluble fiber, or would I be better off making all white bread to eat prior to ingesting the mixed-grain bread?

Thanks.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Newbie questions about calcium, also mixed grain breads new
      #362500 - 12/14/10 11:56 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Welcome to the board,

You might be better of eating the white bread and giving the mixed grain bread with lots of IF to your family. Whole cereal grains are known to exacerbate IBS symptoms.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#362501 - 12/14/10 12:03 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Try calcium with equal magnesium, but better yet just eat calcium rich foods. Studies now show people are getting enough calcium.
I can handle like 1 cup out of 4 being WW flour at the most but be careful with the IF. Better to go with a good quality bread flour and then gradually add in WW flour, more each time up to 1/4 maybe. Being you have IBS-A you *might* be ok with some IF from wheat.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#362561 - 12/18/10 08:20 AM
VioletteCrumble

Reged: 12/11/10
Loc: Austin, TX

Thanks. I just made some bread with 2/6th whole grain and the rest unbleached white bread flour. I also just bought the Citracil that Heather recommends, but then I did a search on it online and found that constipation is STILL a side effect. I am frustrated.

I would love to get enough calcium from food alone, but being that I can not eat dairy and I am breastfeeding (which requires extra calcium) I do not see how that is possible. I eat kale and quinoa, but I can not see eating huge quantities of these foods on a daily basis. Any ideas appreciated.

#362571 - 12/18/10 02:40 PM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I take a liquid cal-mag supplement and it still makes me C so I supplement with added magnesium, which enhances calcium absortpion and also counteracts the C.
I have osteoperosis and my doctors finally convinced me to go back on dairy this year - I had been dairy free for many years. Since my IBS is no worse than before (in fact it's more manageable lately), I am sticking with dairy. I know that EFI is strictly anti-dairy, but my feeling is that if you don't notice it's making you worse, then you might be fine with it. I choose mostly low or no-lactose products since lactose can cause bloating, and also lower fat options (and small portions of the higher-fat ones like cheese and ice cream) since fat can worsen my cramping.

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1770 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1868

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review