All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Beans
      #362467 - 12/12/10 12:12 PM
pts79

Reged: 10/31/06
Loc: Oklahoma

Has anybody found any particular bean that is less gas causing than others? I love beans, any kind of them, especially now that it's wintertime, but the gas and bloating they cause me is pretty awful, so I rarely make them anymore. Any trips or tricks that have been helpful in allowing you to being able to have some good ole ham and beans and cornbread? MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Beans new
      #362470 - 12/12/10 01:31 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Have you tried using Beano?

You might find this article interesting.

Have you tried soaking beans in water for about 8 hours and discarding the water before cooking?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#362471 - 12/12/10 02:08 PM
pts79

Reged: 10/31/06
Loc: Oklahoma

Interesting article! I should try each bean on that list, as far as the least symptom causing, and keep a log of how intense my gas/bloating is.

I have tried Beano, not the drops, but the chewable pills. They used to work fairly well, never 100%, but now they don't work at all. Is there a difference in the pills versus the drops, do you think?

I have tried soaking my beans, draining that water, and then cooking them in new water, but I couldn't tell a difference at all.

#362484 - 12/13/10 06:08 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Black beans agree with me best. Beano is good or use the herb epazote which hispanic people always eat with beans.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#362489 - 12/14/10 12:42 AM
CellSalts_Work

Reged: 08/15/10

thanks for that article!

'Eating fruits shortly before or after a meal of starches, such as bread or beans, will cause excessive gas. When simple sugar and starch are digested within 2-4 hours of each other, the starch slows the transit time of fruit in the intestine, causing fermentation and excessive gas.'

interesting bit of info there, I did always maintain that it's not good to have fruits with other foods... (not that we can eat them on their own mind you)

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,
(pseudo-)D and bloating April 2007-December 2010, now stable

#362496 - 12/14/10 07:44 AM
Syl

The comment about fruit and beans seems a bit strange. Not all starches - only resistant starches like SF are fermented in the colon. Other starches are easily broken down into their constituent glucose molecules which are easily absorbed in the stomach and small intestine. They are not fermented.

Many fruits such as apples, pears, bananas contain SF (e.g. pectin) and resistant starches as well as simple sugars. Only malabsorbed sugars such as raffinose in beans and fructose for fructose malabsorbers are not easily absorbed and they are fermented in the colon.

This comment seems to be similar to saying don't eat too many beans, too much of certain fruits or too many beans and certain fruits or you will produce more gas in your colon. It is the amount of resistant starches or indigestible sugars one eats not the source they come from that likely cause more gas.

The more fermentable starch or indigestible sugars that one eats from any source will increase the amount of gas produced in the colon.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#362497 - 12/14/10 08:12 AM
CellSalts_Work

So is it the pectin that can cause gas for some people when eating bananas?

Regarding that and rabinose, i take it it depends on the individual whether they have gas from it and some people are completely fine?

'As the body becomes accustomed to eating beans, you will find that this problem disappears.'
what does this mean? accustomed to, eating it every day and it supposedly gets better? or eating it every other day is ok? and is it that you stop and then eat it again in two weeks time and you have to start again?

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,

#362498 - 12/14/10 09:00 AM
Syl

Pectin is a SF found in apples and pears. Bananas contain amlyase-resistant starch. They are different from each other. (I corrected this in the previous posting)

Everyone including non-IBS individuals cannot digest oligosaccharides like raffinose in beans. Our bodies don't produce the necessary enzyme (alpha-galactosidase) to break these sugars down. This is the reason that many individuals not just those with IBS take Beano. It contains the alpha-galactosidase enzyme capable of breaking these sugars down so they can be digested.

In normal individuals they likely become accustom to the amount of gas produced in the GI tract. Not sure the amount of gas produced decreases with time. Also, not sure how effective that process is for individuals with IBS since we are much more sensitive to the pressure from the gas.

--------------------

#362499 - 12/14/10 09:29 AM
CellSalts_Work

ok thanks, but I thought that being accustomed means not getting bad effects from it ie no bloating? so basically for a non-IBS person as well, they will always have gas from beans without taking beano?

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1457 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3428

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review