All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Digestive Enzymes
      #362394 - 12/07/10 12:39 PM
shelgirl

Reged: 09/22/09
Loc: Wisconsin

Just wondering if anyone has had any luck with taking digestive enzymes? If so, do you take them with every meal or??? I've been taking them for quite some time now and like alot of things I don't know if they are helping or not and at this point I hate to stop taking them!

--------------------
IBS-D. Eating gluten and dairy free.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Digestive Enzymes new
      #362399 - 12/08/10 06:24 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Some digestive enzymes such as Beano and lactase work well for helping digest specific carbohydrates and lactose respectively. They have to be taken with every meal that contains these carbohydrates and lactase. Others such as cellulase, lipase don't survive the acids in the stomach and are not particularly useful. In fact, cellulase is only found in ruminant animals such as cows and horses.

In summary - some digestive enzymes work many don't. Those that do work have to be taken with each meal that contains a substance in the food that the enzyme can breakdown. Another factor to consider is many digestive enzymes are ground up dried plant material and they essentially are all insoluble fiber which can be a problem for some.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#362404 - 12/08/10 09:20 AM
seattleite

Reged: 01/07/10
Loc: Seattle

My ND told me to try "Similase" by integrative therapeutics (found on Emerson Ecologics website) which contains 8 different enzymes. I dont take it regularly because its around $24 a bottle (90 pills) and has to be taken at each meal...which adds up $$. I occasionally take it when i think i may have a problem digesting the food i eat and i think it does help some.

--------------------
IBS-D since 2008, female in her 20s

#362406 - 12/08/10 09:55 AM
Syl

Digestive enzymes seem to be a favorite recommendation of NDs. The only enzymes in Similase that are of much value are lactase used to help with the digestion of lactose sugar in milk and Alpha-Galactosidase the active ingredient in Beano. Even so there is about one-tenth the amount of lactase normally found in a lactase only enzyme capsule. The rest aren't particularly useful and will likely be deactivated by stomach acid. They cannot hurt you because enzymes are proteins and you will digest them like any other protein.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

Probiotics? new
      #362414 - 12/09/10 10:12 AM
shelgirl

Thanks for the good info....That being said just wondering, Syl if you have an opinion about probiotics? I was told to take Probiotic Eleven, made by Nature's Sunshine??

--------------------

Re: Probiotics? new
      #362416 - 12/09/10 11:08 AM
Syl

Probiotic Eleven contains a variety of Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium bacteria. Clinical trials suggest that Lactobacillus species are not very effective for managing IBS symptoms. On the other hand Bifidobacterium, particularly Bifidobacterium infantis found in the clinically tested Align probiotic, are effective.

A bigger concern is the fact that this probiotic contains the added ingredient FOS which can exacerbate IBS symptoms. As Heather says FOS is a rapidly fermenting probiotic that can cause a sudden release of gas, bloating, and subsequent abdominal pain. It sure does for me - even in small amount

--------------------

#362425 - 12/09/10 07:23 PM
shelgirl

Oh....good to know. I didn't realize that FOS was in there! It seems it is included in several brands of probiotics. I guess I will have to do more research. I did check out the Align, but, noticed it has sugar and blue dye in and I would rather avoid that as well if possible. Thanks for the info!

--------------------

#362435 - 12/10/10 09:01 AM
shelgirl

Just noticed that very few probiotics have that particular strain you mentioned (Bifidobacterium infantis). I just wonder why products have to include artificial colors and sweeteners, etc...when it's not necessary??? I have the same problem with certain fibers I have tried.

--------------------

#362437 - 12/10/10 09:42 AM
Syl

Sugar is not a problem for IBS. And generally speaking the amount of food dye and sugar each dose contains is very small. Align shouldn't present any problems. You could also try VSL#3 and Digestive Advantage. All three have been clinically tested on IBS suffers.

--------------------

#362438 - 12/10/10 11:43 AM
shelgirl

Thanks Syl...think I will try the Digestive Advantage as it seems to have less additives...appreciate your response...

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 846 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 12996

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review