All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Re: Bread and whole grains?? new
      #362145 - 11/21/10 04:40 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I understand what you are talking about concerning yeast infections (e.g. Candidiasis). Although there is controversy about the efficacy of popular diets in controlling yeast infections. There is little clinical evidence to show low refined carb diet actually eliminates yeast infections. It may people feel better because it is a healthful diet

I was addressing the statement "I have problems any time I eat bread with yeast; get gassy and bloated". Yeast in bread is killed during baking. Bread yeast cannot not grow in the GI tract if it is dead.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: To mradams1 new
      #362155 - 11/23/10 02:04 AM
mradams1

Reged: 07/12/10

Hi, apologises for my delay in responding to your message. The link I was attempting to send was Heather's advice on incorporating whole grains and insoluble fibre into your diet. Sorry it didn't work, you can find the information on Heather's page, following the link on the left entitled 'diet and recipes.'

Yes, I'm following the EFI and FODMAP guidelines. Below is a list of the foods I eat on a regular basis:

Grains/starches:-Oatmeal, potato and sweet potato, white rice, rice pasta, rice noodles, gluten-free bread and quinoa. Cornflakes, rice cereals
Fruits:-banana, strawberry, raspberry, blueberry, tomatoes, eggplant, orange/grapefruit juice
Vegetables:-carrot, green beans, parsnips,
Fats:-olive oil, olive spreads, nuts, peanut butter,
Meats/milk:-oat/rice milk, poultry, fish, seafood, egg whites
Extras:-brown/white sugar, herbal teas, homemade jam, vinegar, wheat-free soy sauce

Following Heather's rules, especially regarding insoluble fibre, and how to incorporate it as safely as possible into your diet, I've found that a combination of the two approaches works well. I also take a soluble fibre supplement. I am IBS-C, with distension and bloating.

I hope this helps.

--------------------
IBS A. Managing my symptoms with the EFI/FODMAP diet and probiotics.

#362168 - 11/23/10 12:46 PM
buttons07

Reged: 11/11/10

Thank you so much!

Your diet list was very helpful and looks very very similiar to what I am now attempting myself. I am going to avoid the wholegrains I was eating for the time being (high fibre cereal with psyllium, wholegrain spelt bread, brown rice) and stick to the types of food on your list.
How often would you get symptoms now if you don;t mind my asking? (obviously not counting if you eat something naughty!)
I'm aiming to go a whole week with no symptoms at this stage!
Thanks again

#362171 - 11/24/10 04:38 AM
mradams1

You're welcome. Provided I stick to the principles of the diet, combined with the other suggested coping mechanisms (managing stress, getting enough sleep, water and exercise etc), I can generally avoid serious attacks. I still experience some uncomfortable dissention and bloating every week, or every other week, however, given where I was a few years, or even a few months ago, my symptoms have improved dramatically.

I sincerely wish you the best of luck.

--------------------

#362178 - 11/24/10 04:04 PM
CellSalts_Work

Reged: 08/15/10

are you always C btw?

and have you not tried eating other kinds of beans apart from green beans?

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,
(pseudo-)D and bloating April 2007-December 2010, now stable

#362182 - 11/24/10 07:07 PM
buttons07

Reged: 11/11/10

I think you were asking mradams this but just in case . . . I don't eat any beans or legumes as also follow the FODMAP diet which limits these as very gas forming
Green beans excepted!

#362189 - 11/25/10 02:29 AM
mradams1

As buttons07 correctly states, no beans area allowed (other than green) on the FODMAP diet. I have tried a range of other beans/legumes, however, they cause me major gas and bloating, which in turn, causes me pain and discomfort. I am not perpetually constipated; however, I am constipation predominant. I, perhaps paradoxically, see a worsening of my constipation symptoms when I attempt to include more IF in my diet.

--------------------

#362209 - 11/26/10 06:19 AM
CellSalts_Work

thank you. sorry for my ambiguous wording, what I meant to ask was whether you always had C or sometimes D. (And also whether C for you means 3 or less BMs per week?)

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,

#362210 - 11/26/10 06:20 AM
CellSalts_Work

thank you!

I had no idea beans were not allowed on the FODMAP diet. they are galactans, ie must be limited but there's also Beano which serves well for that...?

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,

#362212 - 11/26/10 07:22 AM
mradams1

Yes, sorry my mistake. I'm always C. I only experience D (the next day) if I drink excessive volumes of alcohol. My C is either, as you say, less than 3 BM a week, and/or daily attempts are very strained and my stools are small, hard and difficult to pass. How do you cope with your C?

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2461 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7706

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review