All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Question for FODMAP followers
      #362002 - 11/11/10 08:18 PM
buttons07

Reged: 11/11/10

Hi all!
I have been diagnosed with IBS-C and have suffered bloating and gas on and off for years. After all the testing etc my gastrointerologist basically said take a laxative. Not happy with this I have been seeing a dietician who has put me on the FODMAP diet. I am lucky enough to live in Melbourne where the majority of this research has taken place but still have a few questions.
My symptoms have greatly improved, have a bowel movement most days but still get quite distended and bloated every few days. I'm obviously not doing something right!
Has anyone had trouble with the following as this is what I have pinpointed through trial and error:

Turkey meat brought from deli - possibly with additives?
Bananas - meant to be safe?
Soy milk - only have it once in a while, mostly rice milk

Maybe I could send someone a more detailed food diary if you think you could help me?

Thanks so much!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Question for FODMAP followers new
      #362009 - 11/12/10 03:43 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Welcome to the board,

Some of us on the board follow the FODMAP diet in conjunction with Heather's EFI diet with good results. Unfortunately, the FODMAP does not address other issues such as the removal of well known GI stimulants like fat, alcohol, caffeine, food additives and insoluble fiber, particularly cereal bran. This is usually left to the dietitian or doctor to recommend. The FODMAP diet focuses solely on the five short chained carbohydrates groups. On the other hand the EFI diet has less emphasis on fructose and no emphasis on fructans. Many of us find a blend of both approaches works well. There are two links in my signature that may help you with more details about the FODMAP diet. Ask questions if you need more information.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#362038 - 11/14/10 05:33 PM
buttons07

Thanks for your reply Syl,

I followed the EFI diet for approx 6 months last year but found I was very constiapted on it, at one point no bowel movement for 2 weeks and still bloated as well. I think my body needs IF so I guess it's finding a balance.
FODMAP has been more successfull in that respect but still gassy and distended at times.
I guess I'm just wondering how to better incorporate the two as my dietician said the EFI diet was not something she would reccomend, so many contradicitions!!
Thanks

#362043 - 11/15/10 05:55 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Hi,

I am bit puzzled by your statement that you couldn't get enough IF on the EFI diet. The only restriction on IF is cereal grains and ensuring you have enough soluble fiber with IF from veggies and fruits. Numerous clinical studies have shown that cereal bran in whole grains can make IBS symptoms worse. Do you eat whole grain cereals? If yes, you might find that reducing consumption of IF in the form of cereal bran and sticking with IF from fruits and veggies from the FODMAP diet might reduce gas and distention. Why does your dietitian have reservation about the EFI diet?
Cheers

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#362055 - 11/15/10 03:00 PM
buttons07

Hi Syl,
Thanks again for your reply!
Ummm, I guess what I meant by the IF comment was that I was so used to consuming salads and lots of fruit and veg that when I went on the EFI diet I felt like I was consuming more carbs than the fresh stuff. I was still eating IF but not in high amounts. This helped my bloating and distention but not the C.
Now on FODMAP this has helped but I feel it also restricts a lot of the fruit and veges I used to eat eg: broccoli, stone fruits, snow peas, mushrooms, avocado etc.
I've been very stricly following FODMAP for 10 weeks now but I think you are right, I need to also combine these principals with the EFI diet, that just seems like more restriction!
To answer your whole grain cereal question I usually either eat oats or a frutose friendly muesli for breakfast which contains buckwheat, rice, millet, sunflower seeds, rice bran syrup.
I do however eat a spelt bread (recommended by dietician!) that is labelled whole grain.
She told me the EFI diet was too high in high GI carbs and sugar.
And so the contradicitions continue.

#362275 - 11/29/10 08:19 PM
hudlander

Reged: 09/26/10

Yep...which confuses me.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2682 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3100

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review