All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: Something interesting new
      #361774 - 10/30/10 12:33 PM
Marilyn

Reged: 05/02/03

Yes, I am aware of his recommendations, which mirrors that of most physicians, except of course, that he does include hypnotherapy as an option.

Actually, I have met the good doctor in person and attended several of his lectures (though he would not remember me, it was with many others at a symposium.)

In the real world, it is very rare that hypnotherapy would be the first thing tried in any circumstance, because our medical system is just not set up that way.

IBS patients seek out hypnotherapy when nothing has worked at the doctor's office. Anything outside the mainstream is suspect, even if it does work, and statistics found in studies do not always reflect what goes on in the real world. There are so many variables!

If exclusion of insoluable fiber, addition of SF, diet and lifestyle changes work - then hurray and I am super happy for those IBS patients that can address their symptoms this way.

But the fact remains, for those of us who are severe, refractory (which means nothing tried has helped satisfacorily)and who are at their wit's end, hypnotherapy has been the journey forward and the first glimpse at getting their life back.

No amount of reasons negates that. But medical protocols preclude trying it first, because it just isn't done! Not because it won't work!

So those of us who were despondant from all the other things not working have to wait and wait until we stumble upon the hypnotherapy via our own research (since it isnt suggested as a rule by docs)because of reported finite success - which still supercedes other treatment methods that have failed.

If you would apply that thinking to any other disease or health condition, it would be so irrational.

I do think using hypno as an adjunct with other treatments is fine. But then what are you treating? IBS symptoms are so similar to other digestive conditions - are you treating a lack of fiber, or the wrong fiber in your diet that causes IBS symptoms? Once that is addressed, is that what IBS "is" - a fiber adjustment needed in the diet?

If it was, then every single IBS patient would simply need to adjust their fiber and there would be no more IBS - but because there are so many different treatments, and so many people being helped with different ways for them - (calcium, imodium, prescription meds, supplements, SSRIs, antidepressents, diets, off-label uses of other meds) and I speak from experience - it is trial and error for most IBS patients when it comes to treatment.

Most of Michael's patients are so beaten down from years of trying things that didnt help. So then they are helped, in addition to removing years of pain and frustration. So, if docs did suggest hypno first (for their more severe patients) and then have 70% be helped, with the remaining 30% to go on to try meds, diet, fiber, etc. would that really be a bad thing?!

I guess it is perspective; since I speak with so many IBS sufferers who ARE despondant, sometimes bringing tears to my eyes, and having been there myself, I am passionate about helping those who suffer. I did my pre-grad work at a school affiliated with Mayo Clinic; my friends and family are in the medical field, and they too know the frustration of not being able to help people heal. So that is where I am coming from. IBS since 1983; being helped or helping on the BBs since 2000 - not because I have to be here, just giving back what was given to me - support!

Thanks for your insights and info! It is good to be informed.

--------------------
My Journey and Success with the IBS Audio Program Hypnotherapy Program: www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=hypnotherapy&Number=224850

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#361775 - 10/30/10 01:15 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Ah ha - It is a pleasure to meet someone who has meet him too. A very gentle man! And he has made so many important contributions to managing our common disorder.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#361779 - 10/30/10 04:17 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Thanks Marilyn, you are a wealth of information! Love when you set people straight.

Re: something interesting / something inexplicable? new
      #361784 - 10/31/10 09:28 AM
kem

Reged: 06/09/10

This makes me want to ask . . . considering that the info regarding IF originated w/such a respected member of the gastro-MD world . . . what on earth is the medical community's excuse for not sharing - with each other and their suffering patients! - the information regarding the fiber situation?!

I can stretch myself to imagine excuses for resisting the hypno - even though such resistance is illogical at best and irresponsible at worst! - but this is much more of a mystery to me. ?

kem (daughter w/ibs-d)

#361785 - 10/31/10 09:46 AM
Syl

Excellent question. I have asked it myself many times Unfortunately, it appears to take a considerable amount of time for the information on IF to circulate through the medical community. Why I don't know. It was reported by UK GI docs first in this 1994 article and then again in 1998 article. It has been confirmed a number time since. This information appears to be slowly penetrating the general medical community.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#361788 - 10/31/10 10:09 AM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hi Syl, is your view that all whole grains aggravate IBS, or only whole wheat?

Someone on here recommended Manna bread to me, which I've been eating this week (a sprouted wheat, millet and rice version), but I'm guessing you wouldn't endorse it?

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

#361789 - 10/31/10 10:38 AM
kem

Quote:

it appears to take a considerable amount of time for the information on IF to circulate through the medical community.

Yes. But you know what? 16 years is a bit more than "considerable;" that's unreasonable no matter how you look at it. (Hey, we all know that new drugs w/less efficacy are pushed thru' the system in months.) It would be laughable, if we weren't talking about actual PAIN, here!

Sigh.

I think that means it's unfairly but terribly important for all of you guys who do this to, please, keep talking about it! I really think that's a portion of the reason that it's possible for something like this to occur: There are a lot of reasons for people w/IBS not to want to talk about it. Thank goodness some of you do talk about it! Be loud. Desperately hurting people (and desperately determined parents!) are trying to hear you above the din. Be loud.

kem (daughter w/ibs-d dx)

#361790 - 10/31/10 10:54 AM
Syl

Generally speaking the bran in whole cereal grains (wheat, rice, corn, etc) is the culprit. The IF in fruit and veggies appears to somewhat more tolerable but can still be problematic for many.

--------------------

#361793 - 10/31/10 11:16 AM
Syl

And if we could only get Dr. Oz on side. I cringe every time I hear him recommend high fiber diet for IBS without qualifying the difficulties of IF, particularly cereal bran. Perhaps we should start a write-in/email blitz

--------------------

now that WOULD be loud . . . - nt new
      #361795 - 10/31/10 12:04 PM
kem

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1940 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11656

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review