Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Confused about Drs and NDs
      #361667 - 10/23/10 04:41 PM
Maurac

Reged: 12/08/09
Loc: Canada

Hi

I am confused by my Drs and there information about IBS. Both my MD and the GI doctor told me there is no conection between diet and IBS. They said eat a good diet and that should be fine. My ND has me taking Probiotics for the last 2 years and now i see that it has inulin in it which I have just read is not good for IBS.
Perhaps I am just slow...but is anyone else confused?
Plus my ND has been treating me for Candida and she thinks I have a gluten sensitivity. I had a Celiac test but i have been mostly gluten free for a year...so that was a waste of money. Its enough to make a person cry! Frustration!

Maura

--------------------
-----------------------
IBS-C/A, bloating and gas

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Confused about Drs and NDs new
      #361668 - 10/23/10 06:17 PM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I have seen both DRs and NDs and had similar experiences as you. I find that neither fully knows how to deal with IBS, and neither will admit to it. I've seen over 40 alternative health practicioners over the years - naturoapths, herbalists, acupuncturists, reiki etc. Spent thousands of dollars on tests, supplements, special foods, gluten-free, etc etc. None of it has helped much. Naturopaths seem kinder than doctors, they spend more time with you, but I find that they basically prescribe the same diet for all their patients. They see IBS as a result of the unhealthy, processed-food-laden Western diet, and believe that once you switch to brown rice and steamed kale, you should get better. Um, not quite. So yeah, at this point I'm just as confused and frustrated as you are. The only doctor who I have any faith in anymore is my therapist. Whom I see often. :smirk

And by the way, my last naturopath also recommended an inulin-based fiber supplement. I am sticking to acacia.

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

#361675 - 10/24/10 04:40 AM
Maurac

Reged: 12/08/09
Loc: Canada

HI Rennee

Well there is some comfort in knowing i am not alone!
My ND did switch me to a whole food diet, which I think I needed anyway and I lost 65lbs. Which I needed! At the least the $1000s got me to reaize that I shouldn't drink 3 cans of Diet Coke a day and should include at least 5 fruits and veggies a day..not 5 a week!

I have read Heather's first year book. One concerns I have are
1. Gaining weight
2. I think I am wheat sensitive

I have seen a reduction in gas and bloating on whole foods but I think that their should be a way I can control the alternating D and C.

Thanks
Maura

--------------------
-----------------------
IBS-C/A, bloating and gas

#361678 - 10/24/10 07:54 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

You might find Heather's discussion Won't eating all these high carb soluble fiber foods make me fat?.

If it quite possible to have problems with wheat particularly with an indigestible component in wheat called a fructan. You can read more about in the first link in my signature on The FODMAP Approach. Usually it doesn't require elimination of wheat from the diet but rather a reduction of foods containing wheat to about the equivalent of 2 thin slices of bread a day.

As Heather says it best to avoid whole foods that contain cereal bran such as whole wheat. It has been reported in the IBS research a few times over the past 20 years that cereal bran can exacerbate IBS symptoms. Here is a link to one of the first articles that reported this problem in 1994. It has been confirmed many times since.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#361679 - 10/24/10 10:51 AM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Hey Renee, yeah that should tell you something, huh? All the doctors, all the supplements, all the different foods/diets (FODMAP, fructose etc.), all the time/money, etc., and at this point your therapist is the only person you have faith in...that speaks volumns to me. Do you know what I mean?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2274 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2351

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review