All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Lactose IntoleranceTest
      #361647 - 10/23/10 05:00 AM
debbylev

Reged: 04/08/10
Loc: SC

I took the lactose intolerance test yesterday.Doctor said it would also tell if I had an intolerance to fruit and vegetables. I drank the solution and the hydrogen meter never moved over a 1 from 8am until we stopped at 2pm. I did the breath test every hour. So everything seems to be negative. After being home for four hours I felt dizzy, nauseous, gassy and D. I am wondering if this was a delayed reaction to the test as I seem to digest everything so slowly. Does anyone know if you develop those symtpoms just normally when the test is negative. I searched all over the internet and cannot seem to find an answer and I cannot reach the doctor's office until Monday and I still feel somewhat yucky today. Thank you to anyone who might be able to help.

--------------------
Debbie
IBS-C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Lactose IntoleranceTest new
      #361648 - 10/23/10 05:27 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Did they give you the results of the test? You might want to ask for clarification about the fruit and veggies comment. This sounds rather strange unless you had a fructose malabsorption tests at the same time which is unlikely. They give you a fairly good dose of lactose to drink and known side effects are diarrhea and abdominal pain.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#361650 - 10/23/10 06:11 AM
debbylev

She said the meter never went above a 1 for every hour tested. It should register over a 20 by the end of the six hours for a positive so my numbers were negative as all six added up to a six. I did question the fruits and vegetables as part of the testing and she said the lactose and the hydrogen readings and the results for both would be considered negative. They did not tell me I could/would get sick later on but kept asking through the test period if I felt nauseous, dizzy or crampy (which I didn't until much later). That is why I was wondering if there was a delayed reaction because of my slow stomach. Thank you for your help and response as it didn't make sense to me to get so sick four hours after the test was finished.

--------------------
Debbie
IBS-C

#361652 - 10/23/10 06:51 AM
Syl

What did she mean by "the lactose and the hydrogen readings and the results for both would be considered negative" and the relationship to fruits and veggies? If you are lactose intolerant then hydrogen shows up in your breath from the fermentation of lactose in the colon. It has nothing to do with fruits and veggies. What do you thing she was talking about?

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#361653 - 10/23/10 07:50 AM
debbylev

She said the hydrogen breath test would show if there was fructose or lactose malabsorption and if there was a sibo. She said the hydrogen levels on the meter would determine if it was one of these or all three. The readings would have had to have been over 20. She also mentioned that the methane reading was oo low. When she would put the bag onto the machine the needle barely moved to the one even after 6 hours of testing. I do not know what solution they gave me to drink but it was white and very sweet. I hope if I get to talk to them on Monday they will clarify these test results. The doctor had already left and the nurse said he would call me Monday if I don't hear from him by Monday afternoon I will call him as I have the same questions about testing for both at the same time. I did ask before I went specifically about the test to determine the intolerance for fruit and veg and was assured they would be testing for that - I do hope they did.

--------------------
Debbie
IBS-C

#361655 - 10/23/10 08:14 AM
Syl

Ah - interesting. It sounds like they gave you a lactose, fructose and SIBO tests all together. I have never heard of this being done. I always wondered if it could be done successfully. I always thought the 2-3 days preparatory dietary restrictions before the tests were somewhat different. When you see you doc could you confirm that they gave you all three test at once and that the solution you drank contains lactose, fructose and glucose? I find this very interesting. Thanks

--------------------

#361660 - 10/23/10 10:08 AM
debbylev

I will be sure to ask - I did have a two day fast with tuna fish, french bread (had to be fresh bakery made), jello, spinach and squash only eaten in very small amounts for two days before. Only water to drink, no teas or medications allowed. I'll give an update when I speak to him.

--------------------
Debbie
IBS-C

#361674 - 10/24/10 04:21 AM
debbylev

I spoke with my doctor yesterday. He says that they used lactulose for the test and he can get results for all using this. The dietary sugars lactose, sucrose, fructose or sorbitol, any production of hydrogen means that there has been a problem with digestion or absorption of the test sugar. This is the explanation given. He wants to see me back again and talk about running a radioactive dye test for slow digestion as he thinks my bad reaction to the lactulose could be due to slow digestion. I don't know yet if I will follow through with this test but I am going to give the FODMAPS approach a try this week. I set my start date for Monday and see how I do from there.

--------------------
Debbie
IBS-C

#361676 - 10/24/10 05:03 AM
Syl

Thank you for the insight. It seems he only tested for SIBO and assumed that SIBO is responsible for the fructose and lactose intolerance which sounds a bit strange. Good luck with the next appointment.

--------------------

#361677 - 10/24/10 05:03 AM
Syl

Thank you for the insight. It seems he only tested for SIBO and assumed that SIBO is responsible for the fructose and lactose intolerance which sounds a bit strange. Good luck with the next appointment.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3357 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3972

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review