All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
best butter replacement
      #361569 - 10/20/10 08:27 PM
jennkenn

Reged: 10/02/10
Loc: Long Island, NY

What is the best butter replacement to get? I looked in the supermarket and Trader Joe's the other day. I found "Best Life butter spread" (Bob Greene's brand...Oprah's guy) and "Earth Balance" It seemed to me like there was almost too much fat in the the Earth Balance (9g per tbsp). Any other suggestions for butter?

--------------------
IBS-A...just looking for some answers!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: best butter replacement new
      #361573 - 10/21/10 05:53 AM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

Smart balance Light has less fat, 5 grams per serving, and no dairy. Regular smart balance does have dairy and is higher in fat so make sure you dont get that one.

#361576 - 10/21/10 07:06 AM
bermudakate

Reged: 11/06/07

have you ever seen earth balance light? just wondering, b/c i'm a vegetarian and smart balance has fish oil (omegas) in it...

--------------------
stable IBS-A

#361605 - 10/21/10 05:40 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Smart Balance life is good but Best Life EVOO is much cheaper. It is less than $2 and SBL is about $3.
Butter flavor Pam is good for cooking and baking and great to have on hand.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#361612 - 10/21/10 07:29 PM
Dizzy

Reged: 03/04/07
Loc: university place washington

i do earth balance lite every day in minute amounts on my breakfast bagel and have for five years, it has never bothered me, but i use it as a thin spread

--------------------
ibc a but c predominent doing hypnotherapy and taking it one day at a time

#361649 - 10/23/10 05:36 AM
gizmo

Reged: 07/28/10

Have you done any baking with this? I bought Earth Balance original non-dairy butter and it was too high in fat and it didn't agree with me. I was wondering if the Smart Balance Light was good for baking where you can't substitute with applesauce or oil. I thought maybe since this is lower in fat I would be OK.

#361669 - 10/23/10 06:20 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

You cannot bake with tub margarine. I have used it successfully to make a streusel topping or in graham crusts though. You have to use stick margarine to bake and that is why things like cookies are so hard to make low fat enough.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1430 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2571

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review