All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Needing some help please with Benefiber?
      #361448 - 10/15/10 11:47 AM
MandyB424

Reged: 10/15/10

I have had IBS-D for the past 4 years. I've done endless things - cut out foods, accupuncture, bland foods only, the safe list foods... been tested for IBD, had two colonoscopies... and my GI doctor has no idea what to do with me. So I have started resorting to living on immodium. Which honestly, sucks. Not going to lie!

I take care of myself, exercise almost daily, drink tons of water and eat pretty darn healthy. I have kept 90 pounds off for ten years now. My IBS feels like a punch in the face to me after all I've done for my body.

My GI suggested I add benefiber into my daily routine to see if it will help bulk up my stools and help me get out of the bathroom faster (my trips to the bathroom can be up to 45 minutes sometimes. Going some... stopping... going some more... stopping.... at least twice a day).

I took Citrucel years ago and only ended up with a ton of gas and oncoming attacks that lasted over a month, even after I stopped it. So doing Benefiber was a bit scary for me.

That said, I'm now up to one teaspoon, twice a day... and I have had the WORST gas ever since starting it. I'm usually gassy... but NEVER like this. Loud rumblings that you could hear across the room - and all day long. I've been waking up at night because of it, too!

Has anyone else experienced this with Benefiber? Is there something I can do to stop it? Or will it even out? I'm afraid to change my dosage and I'm nowhere near the daily recommended dose as of yet.

This may not be the problem... but I haven't changed anything else. It's embarrassing and I have to help people at work all day long and my "normal" daily issues are hard enough to deal with! I guess I could stop using it all along but it seemed like it would really help me.

Thanks so much for any help!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Needing some help please with Benefiber? new
      #361452 - 10/15/10 01:26 PM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

I got LOTS of gas also when starting benefiber, but after the first week it went away. I was so glad I kept with it--I am feeling so much better now. Hang in there! It should get better!

--------------------
IBS-A

#361453 - 10/15/10 01:33 PM
MandyB424

Aly - you are my angel in disguise! Thank you so much! I was about to give up on it!

I'll keep going and see what happens

#361459 - 10/15/10 08:29 PM
MandyB424

Does anyone happen to know if there is anything I can take to help with the gas in the mean time till I am over the "introductory period" with Benefiber? I have funeral service tomorrow... the gas has been rumbling LOUDLY since this morning and won't stop! So humiliating!

I don't want to just give this up... but is it possible it's not going to work for me then? Oy.

Thanks so much

#361464 - 10/16/10 05:43 AM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

have you tried something like gas-x? it can help... but it certainly won't take it away completely. i remember during my time starting benefiber I took a ton of gas x and beano. Beano also helped...otherwise, I ate a TON of soluble fiber based meals--lots of bread, rice, etc... that helped.
Good luck!!

--------------------
IBS-A

#361465 - 10/16/10 06:29 AM
bermudakate

Reged: 11/06/07

i agree with Aly, stick with it! i think when your body is adjusting to the fiber it can cause some weird things to happen. just adjust it slowly, i know it sucks to ride it out but it should get better. have you tried fennel tea for the gas? it doesn't help everyone, but it does tone down my gut quite a bit! worth a try!

--------------------
stable IBS-A

#361488 - 10/18/10 03:17 AM
mradams1

Reged: 07/12/10

Hi,

What version (i.e. UK/USA/Canadian?) of benefiber are you taking? I believe that the Canadian version contains a different type of soluble fibre. The version I use contains 100% wheat dextrin. This is a slow fermenting fibre. I certainly find that when I started/increase my dosage my distension and bloating worsen for 3-4 days. However, once adjusted to your present dose (which can take up-to a week or so), take it very slowly and try increasing your dosage until you stabilise.

Best wishes

--------------------
IBS A. Managing my symptoms with the EFI/FODMAP diet and probiotics.

#361495 - 10/18/10 08:11 AM
MandyB424

I am using the one that is the 100% wheat dextrin also! I cut it back down to only 1 3/4 tsp per day for now. So I'm not even up to 2 tsp yet! haha! I'm going to up it by either 1/4 to 1/2 tsp every three or four days right now, I think since I seem to be having such a hard time adjusting! So it may be a year before I get to a full serving! LOL not really...

Thanks so much to everyone who has helped! I really appreciate it!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 658 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4513

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review