All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
cramps
      #361335 - 10/08/10 01:43 PM
budfrank

Reged: 10/06/10

im not sure if i have ibs but im pretty sure i do. my mom has had it for years everytime she is upset she is on the bowl! I have had a few of what i call attacks sinc ehte end of last year. Is there anything that can stop the cramps reaally fast. I've bought some of heathers products and i'm watching fats, amd dairy, but I loooove my coffee!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: cramps new
      #361337 - 10/08/10 03:31 PM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hmm, well this whole website is devoted to things that can help stop the cramps. Diet, supplements, lifestyle, yoga, hypnosis, etc. This forum is mostly about the diet component - and I can't think of a worse food for IBS-D than coffee since it promotes gastric contractions, whereas you want to slow them down.
In terms of stopping things "fast", I have a friend who swears by deep yogic breathing when she feels an attack coming on, and it helps her ride it out. I don't really get attacks myself, mine is more of a chronic dysfunction. Do you feel your attacks are stress-related or more triggered by what you eat or drink?

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

#361338 - 10/08/10 03:52 PM
ewolfie7

Reged: 09/23/10

It sounds like you have a start but you MUST control your diet totally. I can't say that enough. Follow the IBS restrictions exactly for about a month, see how you are doing then reintroduce some foods you love one at a time to find out how you tolerate them. We've all been through this for years. There are no easy answers. Sorry to say. Good luck! Don't hesitate to ask for help if you need some other questions answered.

#361353 - 10/09/10 02:02 PM
Marilyn

Reged: 05/02/03

Hello Budfrank and welcome,

Well, if you can see a pattern with the coffee - that may be the culprit- see if you can eliminate it for a day or two and if you no longer have cramps, that's your answer.

However, IBS does have a strong brain-gut component - you mention every time your mom is upset she has an attack - that is the mind-gut connection.

Hypnotherapy has been shown to be very helpful with that aspect of IBS if that is what you do have. You should make sure you have it by having a diagnosis from a doctor to rule out anything else that could be causing the cramps.

I was down to crackers and water at one point - took many different meds all with no relief - hypnotherapy was very helpful and now I have no dietary restrictions that I used to have.

Check out the hypnotherapy info and the forum if you are interested - and I would be happy to address any questions you might have - all the best to you in your journey to feeling better!

--------------------
My Journey and Success with the IBS Audio Program Hypnotherapy Program: www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=hypnotherapy&Number=224850

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3814 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1639

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review