All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Cruise to Alaska
      #361229 - 10/03/10 03:51 PM
jer

Reged: 09/19/10
Loc: San Fernando Valley, California

How do I regulate my food on a cruise? Is it possible to go on a cruise to Alaska and be able to enjoy it?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Cruise to Alaska new
      #361282 - 10/05/10 04:33 AM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

YES!
I actually went on a cruise with my husband a few weeks ago. It was fabulous. I ate just fine and had not one belly issue the entire time! We were on Norweigan cruise lines, and they were very accomodating. We spent a lot of our meals at the buffet, where there were lots of safe choices. Fresh fruits and veg, rolls/bread, and a lot of baked chicken. They have a 24 hr tea/coffee station, so I drank my tea quite a bit. I was sad to not eat the soft serve ice cream or cheesecake, but did splurge with a bite or two of a brownie or cookie.
But at the sit down restaurants, I did fine also. Lots of seafood. One night I had roast turkey with plain sweet potatoes and vegetables. Perfect!
So, enjoy! It was SUCH a relaxing and enjoyable trip!

--------------------
IBS-A

#361284 - 10/05/10 05:36 AM
ewolfie7

Reged: 09/23/10

Yes, Yes, Yes! I did it in 2008 on Princess Cruise Line and they were awesome. It's a good idea to let them know up front about your food challenges and they will prepare special things for you. I asked for a gluten-free option and then adjusted it according to my needs, there is no IBS option offered. Each day the Mater D brought me a menu for the next day and I could choose my meals in advance. Worked like a charm and I had only one day of problems in 2 weeks. There was wonderful fish, as expected, and lots of poultry, great veggies and desserts that were dairy free. All the cruise lines are trying to please. Have a blast!

#361293 - 10/05/10 06:17 PM
jer

Thank you, thank you! You have been an encouragement. Did you take a land tour with the cruise?
So,asking for the gluten free diet wold give me enough to chosse from? I must stay on the IBS diet or it isn't good. What about breakfast?

#361294 - 10/05/10 06:21 PM
jer

Thanks for giving me this great info. Did you ask ahead for a gluten free or special diet? I have to stay on the IBS diet or I don't do well. It sounds like I can probably go on a cruise. My husband wants to go in the spring. I am kind of scared, but you are encouraging. Did you take any land tour with the cruise?

#366075 - 09/13/11 09:59 AM
luckiest1

Reged: 10/22/10
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Reviving an old thread because I am going on my first cruise in a couple of weeks. I have checked to be sure that the ship has soy milk available, but I am not sure what to tell the maitre D as to my dietary restrictions...the EFI diet can be a bit tricky. There are 'heart healthy' options on each day's menu (must be low in fat to qualify) so I can hopefully stick to those most days, unless they sound like they have any of my trigger foods. I am excited at the variety of fish & seafood offered daily, and there is a sushi bar as well! But I am still extremely nervous about travelling for so long (7 day cruise plus a couple of days in a resort post-cruise). I tend towards C (especially when I travel) but recently have been going back and forth with bouts of D as well, so I guess I should amend my profile to be IBS-A. Anyways, I will take my Acacia fibre supplement with me, and some tea bags as well. If anyone has any experience with cruising, please let me know your tips!

--------------------
IBS-C

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 559 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3163

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review