All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Spasm after BM
      #361109 - 09/25/10 05:21 PM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I've managed to improve many of my IBS symptoms like gas and C. However the thing that still gets me, EVERY single day, is that once I go to the bathroom, my bowel gradually clenches up into a spasm in the next 1-2 hours afterwards, then stays that way until the following morning. So I spend 3/4 of my time with my bowel, esp the right hand side, in a tight, hot spasm. I find that applying heat makes it worse, since it already feel burning.

The spasm is worse if my BMs are looser, but it's pretty bad even if they aren't. I am not sure how to address this, what it is saying about my diet and what I need to be working on. It almost feels like this is just what my bowel is wired to do now, and nothing I can do will change it.

Is there something I can do to prevent it? Or conversely, are there things I can do immediately after moving my bowel to stop it from cramping up?

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

bump - I'm still wondering... new
      #361289 - 10/05/10 12:39 PM
renee21

what the spasm is telling me? I tried increasing my IF (from white flour products)and I just got C. I can't figure out what the problem is so I am not sure how to address it. I don't have any urgency to go, but once I do, I spasm up and it burns. Any feedback, anyone?

--------------------

Re: bump - I'm still wondering... new
      #361298 - 10/06/10 03:39 AM
mradams1

Reged: 07/12/10

Hi,

I don't have a definitive answer for you, sorry, however, it may be that when you have a bowel movement you are straining your abdominal muscles and this is exacerbating the pain/spasm in the muscles. If your stools are hard and difficult to pass then this might be the reason. You could try gradually increasing your dosage of soluble fibre supplement, whilst making sure your drinking plenty water, and try to relax when you have a bowel movement, rather than tensing-up.

Best wishes

--------------------
IBS A. Managing my symptoms with the EFI/FODMAP diet and probiotics.

#361300 - 10/06/10 06:44 AM
kem

Reged: 06/09/10

Here's my thought on this. When the bowels are already irritated - I mean when you're 'unstable' and having attacks - it's possible to get to the point where any peristalsis causes more or worse spasms to occur. Yes, that means that every time you go, you experience spasms - which is what it sounds like you're talking about. (It also sounds to me like a lot of people, maybe most, don't ever get to this point, but I've certainly witnessed that it can happen and those w/the most severe situations will know what you/I mean.) I haven't heard of any way out of that cyclic, self-perpetuating thing besides, well, all the stuff you already know if you've read the books and the site: De-stress as much as possible and simplify the task that you're asking the bowels to accomplish. Hope you feel better very soon.

Oh, one more thing. If you are to the point where it's not possible to feel un-stressed thanks to the pain, the anticipation of more/worse pain, etc., (and I'm not sure how you could NOT be at that point, all things considered! but maybe I'm a wimp!) I'd really recommend the hypno CDs.

kem (daughter w/ibs-d)

#361301 - 10/06/10 06:45 AM
ewolfie7

Reged: 09/23/10

I have spasms of pain and gas associated with both C & D forms of IBS and BM both before and after them. In my case, it is usually not the result of foods but it can be that. I found recently that it was reactive to either too much or too little fiber in my diet, but you need to experiment with that concept. Also, I'm so sensitive to those changes that my doc prescribed Bentyl, a mild anti-spasm med with few side effects to take 1 hour before eating. It works well. Recently I found that I have Histamine intolerance that causes huge amounts of gas and spasms, to I taking 1 antihistamine (over the counter, like Claritin or Zyrtek) a day. It has been working better than any other. So it is really an individual issue and you need to experiment. When I tried the antihistamine, it worked in 24 hours and i knew I was onto something good. You can see I've had IBS a LONG time, about 30 years!

#361302 - 10/06/10 06:55 AM
ewolfie7

Reged: 09/23/10

I also agree with Kem. De-stressing as much as possible is the best. You accomplish that by learning some meditative breathing, exercising, Yoga. There are UTube segments that can teach you meditative breathing. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=meditative+breathing+exercises+utube&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=
Give this a try. I hope you find some relief soon. Eileen

Re: Spasm after BM new
      #361303 - 10/06/10 07:12 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

This is a common symptom. I experience it too. I have found that taking 3 mg of melatonin at bedtime for a few days relieves the pain considerably. It is available from a health food store. Melatonin regulates GI pain and acts in concert with serotonin to regulate GI motility. I can give you more details if you wish.

In your signature line you indicate you are IBS-C yet in the body of the text you speak about BM every morning. IBS-C is usually defined as 3 or fewer BMs per week.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#361307 - 10/06/10 11:27 AM
renee21

Thanks to everyone for your helpful input. Kem, I feel that you are most onto the issue here - the very act of peristalis is the trigger for me. I have no spasm before going, and lots afterwards - it stings and burns. I have tried all the things everyone mentions (melatonin, bentyl, hypno CDs, yoga, meditation) and I never found much sucess with any of it but I think it's a matter of trying it all again, maybe in different or increased amounts. Certainly stress makes it worse - I recently took a 3-month sick leave from work because of the IBS and I certainly felt much better when I was off work. I am thinking of trying to get on long-term disability because I feel awful and would like to have more time and energy to do more yoga and meditation and walking and other helpful stuff, not schlepping back and forth on the subway and sitting at a desk all day.
Syl, I have never known whether to describe myself as C or D or A. I never have the urgency to go (unless I eat a lot of fatty foods or alcohol - both of which I avoid), so I set a time for myself to go, when I sense gas moving around in there a bit, ususually after lunch. And it's a lengthy process. I have to cross my legs, do twists with my torso, or put my feet up on a stool and press my knees into my abdomen in order to go. And it's always incomplete evacuation and messy at the end. And then I strain a little to try to finish it up. Sorry, lots of TMI there. It never really finishes well, but it's not hard or dry. If I didn't "make the time", I simply wouldn't go, so I see that as C.

--------------------

Re: Spasm after BM new
      #361314 - 10/06/10 06:14 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Wow I am surprised you say you get this too or know what it is because I have never heard of symptoms like that. It is common to get some reaction after a BM like it is settling differently- that is how I describe it. Sometimes I'll get momentary pain and gas after a BM but it goes away. So this burning sensation makes me very curious. It sounds quite debilitating.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: spasm - I think i'll try increasing my SF supplement new
      #361393 - 10/12/10 03:45 PM
renee21

A quick background: A few months ago, I was in an eating disorder treatment facility for anorexia (which probably caused the IBS and was also exacerbated by the IBS - tricky to have a normal relationship with food when it gives you pain, as I am sure you all understand). Anyway, while I was in there, the post-BM spasm was wayyyy milder than it is now that I'm out of treatment. One factor might be that I had less stress then, but I also am wondering if the fact that I was eating a pretty insane amount of food (a weight-gain diet) meant that the gut couldn't go into as strong spasm because there was always stuff in there acting as a buffer.
I am now eating a very adequate weight-maitenance diet, but since the spasm is so much worse, I am wondering if my gut needs to be kept more full in order to damper the spasm. So I am thinking I should increase my SF supplement. I am currently taking 1 tablespoon at breakfst and 1 at dinner. So maybe 1 more at lunch to start? Any thoughts?

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2858 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4261

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review