All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Help!
      #361027 - 09/20/10 09:48 AM
Digby

Reged: 07/31/04

Four weeks ago I went on vacation (which is a trigger for me) and I had IBS symptoms: D, pinching pain in the lower abdomen (I don't have an appendix, so I know it's not that). My stools are heading toward the solid side now, but they're a golden yellow. The pinching pain is still present, off and on, and I'm stressed about it all, which tiggers more symptoms. Everything I eat or drink, even water, makes my tummy gurgly and gassy. Ye gads. My doc has suggested another CT scan, but we're both concerned about the radiation from all the tests I've had. Does anyone else get these symptoms from their IBS?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Help! new
      #361029 - 09/20/10 10:32 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Is the pain in the lower right or lower left side of the abdomen? I have pain in the lower right. I have been able to manage the pain taking 3 mg of melatonin at bed time.

The color of the stool depends on what you ate. Golden yellow is not uncommon if you have been eat relatively little safe meat.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#361032 - 09/20/10 12:20 PM
Digby

Mine is lower right too. Is yours a pinching pain that comes and goes? I also have extreme muscle tightness on the right side of my spine from sitting all twisty at the computer. I've been eating chicken and turkey, but not much of anything because everything makes me rumble and bloat.

#361033 - 09/20/10 12:34 PM
Syl

It is a pinching pain that use to come and go. Eventually it stayed all the time. I found some research that showed this sort of pain could be relieved in some instances by taking 3 mg of melatonin at bedtime. It can be purchased at a health food store. This is the brand I use. Brands that are for sublingual use are not as effective and frequently contain some IBS unfriendly ingredients.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#361035 - 09/20/10 12:37 PM
Digby

Any idea on what causes the pain? Thanks for all your help!

#361039 - 09/20/10 03:03 PM
Syl

Probably spasms in the ascending and/or transverse colon -- perhaps where the ascending colon turns into the transverse colon. Just part of the brain-gut miscommunication underlying IBS.

--------------------

#361103 - 09/25/10 09:21 AM
shelgirl

Reged: 09/22/09
Loc: Wisconsin

I get that same kind of feeling/pain, etc. but it is on my left side...do you think it's the same as what you describe?

--------------------
IBS-D. Eating gluten and dairy free.

#361104 - 09/25/10 09:31 AM
Syl

It is likely spasms in the transverse and/or descending colon otherwise it is likely similar.

--------------------

#361110 - 09/25/10 05:31 PM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hi Syl, I have the same kind of pain - my right hand side is almost always in a spasm, esp where the ascending turns into the transverse.
I take sleep meds to help me at night, but what do you do during your waking hours? Just grin and bear it?

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

#361112 - 09/26/10 05:51 AM
Syl

Yep - grin and bear it. However, I have been experimenting with melatonin. Over the past few years there has been some exciting research ( for example ) that shows there 10 to 100 times as much melatonin produced in the gut than produced in the brain. In the brain melatonin promotes sleep. In the gut melatonin works in concert with serotonin to modulate GI motility and pain. I find taking 3 - 5 mg of melatonin taken at bed time seems to relieve the pain. However, if I take it too many days in a row I start to switch from D to C. So I take it for 3-4 days which reduces the pain substantially for a period of time. When the pain gets intense I start taking it again. I have found that the sublingual version does not work as well. I take the Now brand because the added ingredients (rice flour and gelatin) are IBS safe.

--------------------

#361113 - 09/26/10 07:35 AM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

Yoga and acupuncture help me a lot for crampy pains like that to help move whatever is blocked.

#361131 - 09/27/10 01:54 AM
mradams1

Reged: 07/12/10

Interesting paper on melatonin, thanks for posting this information. Looking on the NOW foods website, they recommend taking a 5-HTP supplement in conjunction with melatonin. I understand the logic of this as GPs can prescribe SSRIs to IBS patients. Have you tried/any thoughts on taking the two supplements (melatonin & 5-HTP) together?

--------------------
IBS A. Managing my symptoms with the EFI/FODMAP diet and probiotics.

#361135 - 09/27/10 05:26 AM
Syl

I only take melatonin alone. None of the research recommends 5-HTP. That recommendation on the NOW web site is likely there just to increase sales of supplements. In fact the recommendation doesn't make much sense since melatonin and serotonin are synthesized from the 5-HTP amino acid.

If you found that other abstract interesting here are a couple more that might intrigue you too.

Is melatonin involved in the irritable bowel syndrome?

Melatonin: a novel treatment for IBS?

Melatonin and Serotonin effect in gastrointestinal motility

It seems that research in these area is moving rapidly

--------------------

#361139 - 09/27/10 05:58 AM
mradams1

Thanks for these. I cannot get the NOW brand in the UK, however, this range (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/search/ref=sr_nr_i_0?rh=k%3Amelatonin%2Ci%3Adrugstore&keywords=melatonin&ie=UTF8&qid=1285592026) of melatonin are available via Amazon UK. Do you have any thoughts on which brand/one would be most effective? Otherwise, I guess I'll go with the one with the best reviews.

Best wishes

--------------------

#361140 - 09/27/10 06:02 AM
mradams1

sorry ignore that last post, re; Amazon, they do have the NOW brand.

--------------------

#361147 - 09/27/10 07:39 AM
mradams1

I notice from the studies on melatonin that the subjects took the supplement continually for two weeks. However, you mention that you avoid taking it continually as it has a constipating effect. I wonder; is it not required to take melatonin on a continual basis (much like, for example, an antidepressant) to benefit?

The literature doesn't seem to suggest that melatonin would be problematic for IBS-C; however, if you personally have experienced a change in bowel habits, would you expect that it might exacerbate constipation in IBS-C dominant peoples.

--------------------

#361148 - 09/27/10 08:07 AM
Syl

The longest I have taken it is 2 weeks. The pain reducing effects continued for some time after wards. After reading the complete articles I found that the speculated action appears to be different in IBS-C than IBS-D. I am still not clear on the difference. Also, as I recall the amount of time the colon transit time was increased in IBS-C was marginal or small. The indications are that it works to modulate pain in all IBS subtypes. Sorry - I cannot give you a clearer answer. It is something you will have to try. If you do please report back how it worked for you.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4681 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7907

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review