All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Probiotics
      #360996 - 09/18/10 11:40 AM
Narcissa

Reged: 09/18/10

Hi - I have been suffering from IBS for quite a while now, but only recently came across this website and Heather's products. I ordered the Tummy Tamer and am trying that out, and also ordered and read Heather's book. For a number of years now I have been taking a probiotic supplement recommended by my doctor, Align to be specific, and it seems that probiotics seem to be a huge recommendation for people with IBS and I was surprised to find that Heather doesn't mention it anywhere in her book or on this website. Does anyone have any tips regarding taking probiotics? Do you find it works well in combination with taking fiber supplements, and following Heather's diet guide? Has anyone found anything on this website talking about probiotic supplements?
Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Probiotics new
      #360997 - 09/18/10 12:14 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Welcome to the board,

Align is one of the few probiotics that has been clinically tested and shown to have moderate efficacy for IBS. A couple of others that have been clinically tested but in as large of a trial as Align is VSL#3 and Digestive Advantage.

You can see some brief comments on probiotics by Heather here and in a number of the newsletters such as this one. She does not sell them. Most probiotics that have been clinically tested for IBS are proprietary products.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#360998 - 09/18/10 02:03 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Hi, do you find that the Align makes a difference for you? I found it to be pretty useless. I didn't see one bit of difference in symptoms, and it is expensive to boot. I just wondered if you had any luck with it. Thanks.

#361002 - 09/18/10 02:58 PM
Narcissa

Reged: 09/18/10

To be honest I'm not really sure. Originally I think it made a difference, and helped with regularity, but didn't get rid of the bad days. When I did go off it for a few days I noticed things got worse, so I started taking it again, thinking it should be helping in some way and maybe things would be worse if I wasn't taking it, but it definitely hasn't cured my problems. And you are right that it is pretty pricey! I would be curious to see what others have to say on here though, if they have tried it and what they thought.

#361006 - 09/19/10 01:10 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Yeah, it is so hyped up due to the research, but I just wondered if others felt the same way I do. Thanks!

#361022 - 09/20/10 08:50 AM
gas_tank

Reged: 08/25/10
Loc: Michigan

I have been taking Align for over a year now. At first I was taking it every day and thought it helped until 6 months later my system had enough and I had such terrible pains I couldn't stand it. So I started taking it every other day and now since I found this website I take the acacia fiber supplements every morning and the Align every other night. Does it help? It's hard to tell. For me, only Saturday mornings or a day off gets me to have a BM. Even though I take both supplements, exercise, follow the diet and drink lots of water, weekday BM's are rare. So I continue to take it as I don't want to make matter worse by not.
As for the cost, I found that it is covered under the Flexible Spending plan you can get from work (if you have that available) and Costco has it in bulk which is more reasonable in cost.

Hope this helps

--------------------
IBS-C 20+yrs with gas, bloating, knife sharpening pains during an attack

#361187 - 09/30/10 01:07 PM
Tedward

Reged: 09/30/10

I have had great luck with Bacteria Infantis (Align) in high enoug doses, I have pain upon waking, I have found that 4-6 align before bed makes a huge difference. Here is the most potent Infantis I have found. It ships cold, so you may want 2nd day.
http://store.metabolicmaintenance.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productID=HPROBIOTICIB

#361190 - 09/30/10 03:59 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Caution - this probiotic also contains FOS which can be a trigger for some IBS suffers.

Life Start by Natren contains 1 billion cfu per 1/4 teaspoon of B. infantis, a few milligrams of vitamin C and traces of non-fat milk and whey. The cost of a 4.5 oz bottle (126 doses) is about $40 on-line. It has to be refrigerated. I have used it with some success.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#361195 - 10/01/10 06:12 AM
bermudakate

Reged: 11/06/07

do you normally take this one or the align? i am using a probiotic that i think helps me, but i ordered some align to try it out. maybe it helps even more! it's just so expensive...wondering if the one in the link you sent helps more? i have no problem with FOS...

--------------------
stable IBS-A

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3500 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3833

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review