All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Terrified
      #360558 - 08/24/10 10:45 AM
Texasmomma2

Reged: 08/24/10
Loc: Texas

I have been suffering with IBS for 10 years having both good and bad days. Figuring out for myself that stress for me was a HUGE factor with my IBS. But still dumbstruck as to how I could eat say tacos one day and it not bother me and eat them a week later and be in agony. I had people tell me it was the "time" of day I ate things. I literally stumbled on this site the other day and was immediately hooked, but I'm still scared to try anything new. Not that I have anything to worry about, I rarely eat at work because I'm afraid of when and how things will bug me( I am a cashier at a farmers market/heath food store). I'm afraid to eat at home when I have to be in early the next day because I don't know how dinner is going to affect me in the AM, lol I have been heard to say "Can't I just quit eating". My question is this is it necessary to do the "calm your gut period"? or can I just start cooking out of the book? I am thrilled to find this site and can't wait to dive right in!!! Oh to be able to eat without worry! Have been on so many meds and none of them worked. To find out that I can control this with diet this is huge news!!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Terrified new
      #360559 - 08/24/10 11:19 AM
Kenny

Reged: 01/03/05
Loc: Valley Village, CA

My cousin and I have nearly the same digestive problems, so we talk openly about this all the time. There are times when I can eat a certain food and have no problems; other times, I'm sick for a week. I can't seem to figure it out, but we theorize that our stress levels, and our mental attitude, at the time seem to have some correlation.

The gut-specific hypnotherapy CDs really helped a lot, but you have to be dedicated and follow the schedule (100 days).

--------------------

IBS-A: Gas, Bloating, Occasional Reflux, Panic Attacks

When the bathroom is rockin' don't bother knockin'!

#360578 - 08/25/10 06:06 AM
Sheeda

Reged: 05/04/08
Loc: Barbados

first let me say wow... i could have written this post myself. I am having the same problems about being afraid to eat at work, and also after work cuz of how i will feel in the morning. AND i asked my mother a few weeks ago if i could stop eating all together and just be fed intravenously lol

anyways... the "calm your gut period" is good for if you have recently had an attack or if your tummy just doesn't feel right. It also helps me when I'm "afraid to eat" like you said, because sometimes that fear alone can make you sick. if you are feeling completely fine then i think you should go ahead and try out some recipes. i would try some of the simple ones first and then move on to the more complicated recipes. good luck!

--------------------
“Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow.”- Mary Anne Radmacher

#360592 - 08/25/10 06:42 PM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

I would start eating the safe foods until you can go a couple days without having an attack.Then I would start by adding one new recipe per week.
I would start with plain potatoes,fresh white bread,carrots,chicken,pretzels as snacks,bananas and rice.
A couple days on these safe foods and you will see immediate improvement.
Then look through the recipes and find one with safe for you foods and give it a try.
If I am going to try new foods I only try on a weekend when I know I can get my body under control before heading out for the week,
HTH

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5135 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1619

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review