All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Help! Bloat after 1/2 bagel and worse after Fennel tea
      #360239 - 08/11/10 11:56 AM
minks

Reged: 08/08/10
Loc: Newport Beach, CA

Help! I started the 3 day plan to get my symptoms under control. Had a potato last night and oatmeal this morning. I felt great for the first time in awhile.

I ate 1/2 a bagel and got some bloating so I drank some fennel tea and I'm ready to explode.

What is going on?

--------------------
IBS-C Started out of the blue end of May 2010. I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and GI problems are pretty common with that. I've been fairly lucky up til now.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Help! Bloat after 1/2 bagel and worse after Fennel tea new
      #360240 - 08/11/10 12:09 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Did the bagel contain high fructose corn syrup (HFCS). Many bagels brands do.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#360241 - 08/11/10 12:16 PM
minks

No but it did have maltodextrine. Could that do it? Actually, some minor cramps after the bagel but the fennel tea sent me over the edge with total bloat.

Isn't tea supposed to help? Thanks

--------------------
IBS-C Started out of the blue end of May 2010. I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and GI problems are pretty common with that. I've been fairly lucky up til now.

#360245 - 08/11/10 12:29 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Maltodextrin is a polysaccharide composed of glucose ( another name is dextrose) that is very easy to digest. It is unlikely to be the problem. Fennel teas does not work to reduce bloating for everyone. I have not had much success with it.

Sometimes simply the process of eating may cause these problems due to the gastrocolic reflex

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#360246 - 08/11/10 12:50 PM
minks

Thanks for the explanation Syl. I'll just keep at it. I was planning on doing this for 3 days so I'll see how it goes.

--------------------

#360255 - 08/11/10 10:20 PM
fairleas

Reged: 05/05/09
Loc: USA

Sometimes just eating causes bloat. The gastrocolic reflex makes gas sometimes, no matter what you eat or how safe it is.

Something that has helped me tremendously with bloating and gas are charcoal tablets. You can get a bottle of CharcoCaps at Walmart for around four bucks, or you can go to somewhere like a GNC and pick up a bottle of activated charcoal for about eight or nine dollars (better buy, you get more pills). You can take as many as you need, just make sure you take it a few hours before or after any sort of prescription medicine.

One warning...they do make your poo black.

--------------------
IBS-D since...well, a long time
(probiotic acidophilous, SF supplements, IBS eating plan)
my blog

#360262 - 08/12/10 11:28 AM
minks

I'm realizing that, hey I"m just gonna get gas. I'm just hyper aware right now.

I should be getting my peppermint caps today. I looked into charcoal awhile back and there was some reason I didn't get them but I forget. Black poop is better than no poop!

I think once I understand the basics of the diet and that I'm always going to have some sort of intestinal discomfort at times I'l be ok. I guess I was thinking that this was the cure all but I'm so much better than I was 2 days ago so I"m happy.

Thanks so much for your help.

--------------------

#360265 - 08/12/10 03:02 PM
fancymom

Reged: 09/17/07
Loc: SC

I am so sorry Minks. Horrible gas and bloating is very painful and miserable, I can definitely empathize!!

You may be like many IBS sufferers here, myself included, and you may not be able to tolerate wheat. I have been on a strict wheat free, dairy free diet for years and I never felt better. I tried the sourdough bread and saltines and bagels, but never understood why I felt worse after I ate those "safe" foods. I am just sensitive to wheat/gluten.

Hope you get it all figured out soon!!

--------------------
FancyMom
IBS-A,Constipation predominant, GERD

#360267 - 08/12/10 03:13 PM
minks

Hi Fancymom! As I'm finding out, it's just going to be trial and error. I did much better today and am beginning to understand a little better how the diet works and how my gut works. I think in general some days things will be fine and the next day the same thing will cause problems. I don't think wheat is the problem so much as me just figuring things out.

I am finding too that if my sleep is messed up or I don't feel well, I don't do as well with things.

I appreciate all the help and support from you guys.

--------------------

#360275 - 08/12/10 10:25 PM
fairleas

Reged: 05/05/09
Loc: USA

Quote:

I'm realizing that, hey I"m just gonna get gas. I'm just hyper aware right now.

I should be getting my peppermint caps today. I looked into charcoal awhile back and there was some reason I didn't get them but I forget. Black poop is better than no poop!

I think once I understand the basics of the diet and that I'm always going to have some sort of intestinal discomfort at times I'l be ok. I guess I was thinking that this was the cure all but I'm so much better than I was 2 days ago so I"m happy.

Thanks so much for your help.

I think I remember reading in Heather's book that we, as people who deal with IBS, often see normal gas and intestinal rumblings and discomfort as abnormal...and who is to blame us? When the slightest bit of gas could mean we're about to poop our pants? When the first sign of rumbly tumbly could mean hours and days of unbearable cramps? Or...those things could mean that we have to fart and our intestines are digesting our food. Who can tell the difference until it's too late? Of COURSE we mistake normality for extremity, because too often it becomes extreme.

It's one of the many things that really ticks me off about IBS. Normal people fart. Normal people don't mess their pants when they do. Infuriating.

But anyway...yes, gas is normal.

--------------------
IBS-D since...well, a long time
(probiotic acidophilous, SF supplements, IBS eating plan)
my blog

#360286 - 08/13/10 11:06 AM
minks

Hi Fairleas, yes that makes total sense. Up until May I was normal for me. No real problems then bam! everything stopped moving. And now I"m hypervigilant. I want to fart because that means things are moving. And for me, not going to the bathroom is miserable in its own way. I just don't feel good in general. I have not gone today and I hate it and my first instinct is "what can I eat to get things moving?" I think C or D each has it own problems but boy I sure don't think I'd want C.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2527 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4033

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review