All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Replacement flour
      #359963 - 07/26/10 04:41 PM
fancymom

Reged: 09/17/07
Loc: SC

Hi! Haven't been on here for a while, just wondered if anyone has ever baked Heather's breads and replaced the all-purpose flour with gluten free all-purpose flour (or any other type of flour that is GF)?

I have major issues with gluten and am looking for a safe alternative...and I really MISS her breads!!

Thanks!!

--------------------
FancyMom
IBS-A,Constipation predominant, GERD

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Replacement flour new
      #360032 - 07/29/10 07:12 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

As far as I know about gluten free baking you can't just sub like that. You have to use a GF recipe.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#360035 - 07/29/10 10:00 PM
kfischer

Reged: 07/18/10

Hi-- I have IBS, but my mom and sister are both gluten intolerant so I have quite a bit of experience cooking gluten free (far more than I have with cooking for IBS right now).

You can definitely substitute wheat flour with an all purpose gluten free flour, as long as you also add zantham gum (to help it thicken) and a little extra baking soda and powder (to help it rise).

I am not yet sure which types of flours are best for IBS though. White rice I am sure is fine, but I think you will just have to experiment to see what bothers you and what doesn't. Tapioca flour and potato starch are most likely good as well.

#360062 - 08/01/10 05:10 AM
fancymom

Reged: 09/17/07
Loc: SC

Ok.
Thanks for your help, and for mentioning the xanthan gum. I almost forgot about that! I'll try it...

--------------------
FancyMom
IBS-A,Constipation predominant, GERD

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3136 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1887

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review