All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
What seems to be working (so far)
      #359824 - 07/20/10 08:45 AM
vettech

Reged: 06/08/08
Loc: ME

I've not been on the board for some time because I have been undergoing treatment from a naturopath and I wanted to see what was going to happen before reporting in.

I first went to the ND back in April. I had stool, breath and bloodwork done. When all was said and done, it was found that I had SIBO and several food sensitivities. I have cut the offending foods out of my diet (well, at least 90% of the time, anyway). I also underwent treatment for the SIBO; due to my severe reactions to antibiotics in the past, she treated me with medicinal strength herbs with antibiotic properties - the test pointed out the specific bacteria and also the antibiotics and herbs it would respond to. I got copies of my tests and the information in them was very detailed. Best of all, while insurance did not cover my ND visits, it did cover a good portion of the laboratory testing.

So, the herbal regiment was a bit rough. There were some side effects (nausea, etc.) but not as severe as I get when I take antibiotics. I did 2 rounds of that (3 weeks on, 3 weeks off). As mentioned, I've been avoiding the foods I showed sensitivity to, which include whole wheat (oddly enough, white wheat, including gluten, is ok), corn, milk, bananas ( ), etc.

So...I'm not sure which treatment did the trick, or if it was the combination, but this is the best I've felt physically in years. I can't remember the last time I had D, and my bloating and nausea happen rarely and when they do, they quickly resolve.

I still have a ways to go, though. I am finding that decades of IBS symptoms have taken a psychological and emotional toll on me. I have anxiety issues that have now taken center stage. I still have some issues with C since I've become so accustomed to avoiding IF - I am slowly working some into my diet, though, and I seem to be tolerating what I've eaten so far. I still have GERD, especially now that I've cut back on my Prilosec (the ND said the PPI meds made me susceptible to SIBO since stomach acid is a natural defense against bacteria). All in all, things are looking better. I went on a long trip last month and other than a bit of a panic attack at the end, I felt great and had a good time.

I understand that we're all different and this may not be the answer for some (or even most) people. But hopefully I can at least give someone something else to consider.

--------------------
IBS-A and GERD since 1983
Low FODMAP since 2012

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What seems to be working (so far) new
      #359826 - 07/20/10 11:02 AM
MikeCA1870

Reged: 03/30/09

That's great! I looked into seeing a naturopath but the ones around here were real new agey and strange.

Do you feel it's the dietary changes or the antibiotic herbs that have done the most good, or is there no way to really tell since you did them both at the same time?

#359833 - 07/20/10 11:35 AM
vettech

My suspicion is that the antibiotic herbs allowed my body to heal to the point that the dietary changes were more effective. But I can't know for sure. I do know that I've been able to maintain this good feeling after stopping the herbs - in fact, I actually feel better since the herbs were strong and had some side effects. It's possible I truly did have 2 separate issues that needed to be addressed.

My ND is also an FNP (family nurse practitioner), so she has her feet firmly planted on the ground. She is a little odd, but more in a mousey way than a new agey way LOL!

--------------------
Low FODMAP since 2012

Re: What seems to be working (so far) *DELETED* new
      #359848 - 07/20/10 10:32 PM
BQE

Reged: 06/05/10

Post deleted by Heather

#359857 - 07/21/10 05:41 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I presume you know that up to 50% of users of PPIs exhibit SIBO. This alone could exacerbate IBS symptoms. You might read Proton Pump Inhibitors, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, and Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth: Coincidence or Newton's Third Law Revisited?.

I am curious to know what herbs your RD says have antibiotic properties.

Good luck with your new approach.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#359866 - 07/21/10 09:00 AM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

I am glad that you found something that works for you and that you are feeling better.

--------------------
Janey

Re: What seems to be working (so far)
      #359869 - 07/21/10 09:07 AM
MikeCA1870

Amen!

Re: What seems to be working (so far) *DELETED* new
      #359882 - 07/21/10 09:31 PM
Trahgen

Reged: 07/21/10

Post deleted by Heather

#359886 - 07/22/10 07:26 AM
vettech

Yes, my ND did point out the risks of the PPI. Unfortunately, I have not yet been able to give it up completely, but I am working on decreasing my usage. My hope is the stop it eventually.

The herbs recommended by the test results were uva ursi and oregano. My research shows that uva ursi is most commonly used for UTI's, but supposedly oregano is even effective against MRSA.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/130620.php

Whatever the mechanism, it seems to have done the trick.

ETA: And thanks to all of you for your good wishes and support. My prayer and hope is for everyone to find something that works for them, whatever it may be.

--------------------
Low FODMAP since 2012

Edited by vettech (07/22/10 07:28 AM)

#359888 - 07/22/10 08:11 AM
MikeCA1870

Well to be honest I spent a lot of money on acupuncture and despite the extreme kindness of the practitioner it failed to produce any positive results. I've always felt "holistic" medicine is hippy-dippy (just as an FYI I'm pretty liberal so that's saying something ) and not soundly based on science.

Then there's the fact that health insurance doesn't cover it.

But I'm a lot more open minded now as nothing else has worked.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3869 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4953

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review