All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Raw Carrot Question
      #359366 - 06/20/10 07:56 AM
mack

Reged: 06/03/10
Loc: Texas

The SF list includes carrots, but doesn't distinguish between cooked and raw. I know that cooked would be more easily digested than raw, but are raw carrots considered a "safe" food?

--------------------
IBS-D for 18 long years...

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Raw Carrot Question new
      #359368 - 06/20/10 08:24 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Raw veggies of any kind is considered unsafe. Cooking carrot softens some insoluble fibers such as cellulose making them easier to handle by individuals with IBS. However, as I recall Heather recommends that if you wish to try small amounts of salad it is best to do so at the end of a meal. I can eat cooked carrots with no difficult but raw carrots are a definite no-no for me.

You may find this article in Scientific American of some interest Fact or Fiction: Raw veggies are healthier than cooked ones.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#359384 - 06/21/10 06:57 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I eat them raw at parties, but they are too hard on my jaw raw. So anyway, someday you may be able to eat them raw but most likely you should cook them to be safe- especially since you have D.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#359390 - 06/21/10 07:56 PM
mcem222

Reged: 12/21/08

I've been eating a large salad most days for lunch, usually made with quinoa, lettuce, carrots, cucumber, and celery. I never have immediate problems after lunch, and seem to tolerate this well. Do you still advise that I choose cooked veggies over raw?

#359391 - 06/22/10 05:06 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

The EFI diet is a set of guidelines not a set of rules. Under tips and tricks it says "Only eat green salads - tiny portions, non-fat dressing - at the end of the meal, not the beginning (tell people you're French)." and "Peel, skin, chop and cook fruits and vegetables;" If you have no immediate problems and no problems the next day then continue what you are doing I cannot remember are you IBS-C, IBS-D and IBS-A? Personally, I would stick with cooked veggies since I am IBS-D and raw veggies make things worse the next day.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#359394 - 06/22/10 08:18 AM
mcem222

Reged: 12/21/08

Well, I'm IBS A, but I'm worried that something is going a little wrong recently in my diet.
I just made a thread about it, here
http://www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=diet&Number=359393&page=0&view=expanded&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 426 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3211

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review